Mantis shrimp and lighting query

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Dane, 16 Mar 2010.

1. Dane

Dane

Hey there,

I'm getting a bright red mantis shrimp from someone to put in a little dedicated tank I've had lying around. And I've got a few queries..

The first is lighting - its got one of those tiny little flourescent globes and balast in one combos, pretty useles. If I were to "upgrade" (hahaha) this to an 18wat 6400k CFL what softies could I grow in the tank? (Keep in mind only 20cm of water!)

The second is what other interesting creatures can I put in this tank? I know that It'll wipe out other shrimp fish etc. But what about other inverts like echinoderms? Brittlestars, urchin etc?

Lastly, whats the most basic filtration needed for a tank like this? What about doing a little fuge round the back of the tank just filled with cheato?

Thanks in advance,
    Dane

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

You need to research the lighting requirements of certain mantis shrimp, I remember reading somewhere that incorrect or too much lighting will kill the mantis, I think it was Warr or Lanzo that had this problem.

4. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

where you getting your mantis shrimp from dane?

5. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

459b (David) had one in some live rock he bought and has kindly donated it to me! :)

6. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

nice....ive been interested in keeping one of these :)

7. Titanse

Titanse

Hi Mate

I have a mantis currenlty in my sump. It is lit with a reeftek 10000 k T5 24 watt

It seems to be fine. Hides most of the time during "Day" and is about during the night. Should have sufficient LR to hide in and something to dig with (ie crushed coral).

They like to build little forts.

Mine is currently being "hand" fed with hake...

Going to move him to a stronger tank soon...

8. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Thanks titanse. how big your mantis? And what colour? How often do you feed?

9. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

the mantis can be kept with most livestock if its well fed, they will attack all crabs and shrimps, i have seen them kept with fish, even small damsels and no problems.

but remember that this is one of the ultimate predators so each will have their own personality

10. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Hey

Glad to see you want to keep a mantis shrimp

As you might know you get smashers(feeds on crabs sanil ect) and slashers(feeds on fish)

Post a picture of your mantis if you get time please.
    i have been keeping manthis shrimps for the last 3 years now...and i have lost one due to to much light....they are very sensitive when it comes to too mch llight.

I kept mine under x6 24w t5's and she didnt want to come out at all...she ended up with a shell disorder and died.

I have been keeping the new peacock under x4 t5's...i have x3 fish in the tank and a big Sinularia coral.

Feed your mantis nutritional food...and once a week add vitamins.

As dallas said....they are predators and with this comes hectic feeding...your skimmer will work in overdrive...

When they molt you wont see them for about 4-5 days...they close their borrow and will only appear once they fully molted.Their shell is very sensitive....

Cheers
    Lanzo

11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

and i have seen lanzo's mantis, what a beauty!!

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Me too, cute little dangerous bugger :p

13. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

14. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Thanks very much! Lanzo - i dont think my lighting will be anything close to yours so shouldnt be a problem. Has anyone grown softies under 6400k CFL's?

15. Sentari

Sentari

I'm still itching to get a mantis tank up and running! Maybe next year!

16. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

How long do they live for ???

17. Titanse

Titanse

Hey Dane

Sorry for the late reply my home adsl is causing kak....

My mantis is bout 8cm - 10cm long... hides so is difficult to calculate... he is brown turning green with bright blue spots...

dunno what he is yet... as I say... hides too much.

I try feed him every day but sometimes every 2nd day... depending if he is up to eating or not...

Mine is a basher... but still eats hake and fish... :) Sneaky bugger...

Currently building a mantis tank of 700mm long (including built in skimmer) and 400mm wide..

It is only 300 high but should be good.. the outside glass is 8mm thick, while the base is 15mm thick.. (too thick you say - not really he is a basher and likes to dig... so will prevent him from cracking the base while digging)

Trying to get decent pics to start posting a thread... but will do so soon.. just cycling the rocks for the tank and going to get a combo of damesles and mollys with lots of hermits for his tank... (live food is always better....)

Dane likes this.
  18. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Got a spearer this weekend in a dedicated tank... Dunno what the hell I was thinking, but I moved some LR around her tank (bare hands) with him in it!!! Needless to elaborate on what happened next.:p

NOTHING has ever pulled out of water at that speed ever before... Water was dripping from the roof afterwards, and my wife a leka chuckle!!! She is only about 5-7cm now...

To steal this thread quickly, what is the best way to feed spearers? Obviously one can not always feed him live fish, so how do I feed it? If I put a piece of krill in a tweezer, she seems to be targeting the tweezer, and not the food. :(

19. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

20. Titanse

Titanse

Hahahahaahaha :lol:

Sorry... learnt a long time ago after HEARING mine in the polystyrene box NEVER to do that!!! They aint called thumb-splitters for nothing!

I am feeding mine with a clear hose and toothpick. Put a piece of hake on the bottom and just leave it in until he figures it out... They usually do quite quickly...

21. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Wow, this thread completely ran on without me noticing! Sorry!

My mantis is under a single 18w 6500k energy saver. Enough for zoas, xenia and macroalgae, and I think its all I'll do, he doesnt like the bright light. He is starting to get very active and has gone to town with my latest scaping efforts. Built a sort of multi-linked tunnel system :) I feed little pieces of prawn and he loves it. I hang the food from a string so that he has to "chase" it and wrestle a bit, i think this also helped getting him more comfortable in the open.

His colours have changed slightly since I got him and as a group the are highly polymorphic in this regard! He is a dull russet red on top, but underneath brilliant greens, yellows and reds. SUCH a cool character! Always watching and seems to know whats going on... When he gets a skrik he does a little backflip type roll and scurries away in a blast of sand! :)

I was moving stuff around and i got to close, he popped out and whacked me on my thumb!! Hehehe, didnt hurt much at all - i reckon it was a love tap ;-) Thank goodness its a smasher!

Dr Roy Cadwell ID'd this as G. falcatus.

Heres the pics i have on file... will try and get some cooler ones.
    He has filled out since I got him. So much so I wonder if he moulted and at the old exoskeleton. Not sure if this is possible tho...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recent Posts