Mantis/Pistol shrimp

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Yvonne, 31 Oct 2011.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne

Hi,

I started noticing a clicking noise about 2 weeks ago and saw a little shrimp that lives in the one pump in the tank. Then last week my coral beauty disappeared and my Borneman anenomes aren't anywhere to be seen either anymore. It looks like a mantis shrimp or a pistol shrimp it's impossible to get a pic of him because he disappears into the pump everytime he spots me but will try again to get a pic of him to see what shrimp he is exactly.

I don't want to keep him in my tank in case it is him that killed my coral beauty and the anenomes. Is anyone interested in taking him?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Evo R

Evo R

Hi

Sounds like a mantis. But eitherway they are not the culprit regarding your anenome. And did you look everywhere for the Coral beauty?

4. Furbz

Furbz

ha! you beat me to it!

i have the same clicking noise that only starts after the lights turn off for the day.
    i suspect a pistol shrimp is the source....

i have delt with them in the past.
    i tried everything i could to try get them out in one piece but finally i resorted to a dot of superglue on the end of a stick. touched him with a stick and pulled him out his hole.
    got him out, minus a few legs that got stuck together...

i cant find where this shrimp is but when i do i will second the above, if anyone wants him holler!!

5. Yvonne

Yvonne Thread Starter

Think it is a mantis looking at pics online.
    I have looked for the coral beauty was always out during the day haven't seen her anywhere and the other fish i have at the moment are only clowns and chromis and a cleaner shrimp. Also checked around the tank because my Neon cheek Goby jumped out the tank a few weeks ago to see if the coral beauty did the same.

6. Mc

Mc

Did you try checking at night when the lights are out? You can use a torch covered with red celophane or something similar it won't scare it so much, go up to the tank slowly.

Recent Posts