Mantis Nano

How do you handle it then? With thick gloves? Will it attack you if you do maintenance inside the tank?

How do you handle it then? With thick gloves? Will it attack you if you do maintenance inside the tank?

handle with a net.

she doesn't see me as prey but rather hunter, so she hides soon as I start playing around in the tank.

It has been really cool watching her build her cave. Gathers small LR from all over the tank.

What do you feed her Warr?

Aah, ok...:) Where can one get a peacock mantis? Have not seen them in LFS's before, do they get them in from time to time? Or should you wait for someone with an unwanted hitch hiker?

Peacocks are one of the larger species and rarely, if ever, are they hitchhikers. However, your LFS can likely order you one from their suppliers.

Peacocks are one of the larger species and rarely, if ever, are they hitchhikers. However, your LFS can likely order you one from their suppliers.

Thanks for that! When I get a bigger tank, I plan on maybe keeping a mantis in my nano, but maybe something smaller than a peacock, will still see.

yeah most of the BIGGER importing LFS can get the Peacocks.

I am finding this creature very interesting. It is very intelligent. If I tap on the tank, she comes out to check whats going on.

Very cool character.

I would imagine that titanium heaters are available in South Africa somewhere. The problem with the glass heaters is that most have a little light on them to let you know when it's heating. Well there have been a few cases of mantis freaking out over this light popping on and then they smash the heater (and electrocute themselves).

I've found that most mantis are not picky about the type of snail but turbos would be a good choice.

Thank you

I would imagine that titanium heaters are available in South Africa somewhere. The problem with the glass heaters is that most have a little light on them to let you know when it's heating. Well there have been a few cases of mantis freaking out over this light popping on and then they smash the heater (and electrocute themselves).

I've found that most mantis are not picky about the type of snail but turbos would be a good choice.

Yeah, I can see my pretty girl is quite inquisitive, so i really need to find a solution quick. Thinking of joining the plumbing of my main tank with the Nano. Then my 300w Jagers can keep both tanks happy.

Back
Top Bottom