Mantis Madness

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Mirage, 27 Feb 2011.

1. Mirage

Mirage

Well, after my decision a few weeks ago, to purchase new LR, becuase my tank has been running a few years and could do with some fresh rock and a bit of a re-arrange.I went and purchased some mushroom rock which it turn out was from Figi, 3 Mantis Shrimps later, one of which still resides in my TL-550 and taunts me in the early hours of the morning. I manage to get two of them into a spare tank, but at the cost of two of my new LR. I found myself faced with a dismantled set up, everything out of place and a need to now put everything back into place. So pay day comes along, I find myself a funky little rock, Which Steven and the crew kindly took to my car in a big polystyrene box.

Bennie and I get home, he carts the huge box into the house, places it beside the nano, and the damn thing starts ticking the minute he opens the lid. He shakes his head, gives off a big sign and says woman, I'm off to play PS3! You can put it in the Mantis tank. I give up. So another pay day, another mantis! I think its time to convert the big Tropical tank in the lounge and start a Mantis Sanctuary, but only for the Figi Mantis, it turns out they only grow to 29mm. And they don't fight as long as they get fed daily and have their own exclusive rock, and at their size, I am able to feed by hand (ignorance is bliss, haven't been zapped yet ) so at least I get some interaction with them. And its nice to see the little eyes flittering about as they see me.

Now just to get Ben to approve.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane

Dane

This is unbeleivable... FOUR mantis shrimp??? Hahahaha!

I am so glad they have ended up with someone that wants to look after them instead of kill them! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

4. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

I grew up on a farm, I am cursed with a conscience and can't kill any living creature. And because these darn things aren't cool like the Peacock Mantis, I fear giving them to a LFS will result in them being tossed into the nearest drain. So the Universe has sent them to me!! But what are the chances!!!! 4 Mantis in 3 seprate shipments! If anyone wants to buy LR and ur afraid of finding a Mantis take me with you, whichever Rock I choose, buy the OTHER one!!!

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

i read this on LiveAquaria and never tried it so I dont know if it works. You mix up some salt water with a SG of 1.035-1.040 and you submerge the rock in the water for 1min. Apparently all the critters will come out of the rock then you can just choose what you want. If you give it a try, let me know if it works :)

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

7. KeeganP

KeeganP

:lol: :thumbup: good one Mirage

8. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

[​IMG]

9. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

[​IMG]

10. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

[​IMG]

11. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Those look like sneaky little buggers!!

12. Sammy

Sammy

Hi Mirage, where did you get the Figi LR, I'm also looking, I will try the high SG bit

13. Boegie

Boegie

I won't waste tank space for those ugly mothers, but rather for the ones that was on the front page of the Coral magazine.

14. Dane

Dane

To each their own Boegie! I think those are absolutely beautiful!

15. fishguy

fishguy

Hahaha!! Thats awsum youve been blessed!!! They are the most interesting little critters ever!! If you wana get rid of one then my arms are wide open!!!
    The peacock is the best looking but they are all super entertaining to watch.
    Nice one Melissa! Il chose the next rock for you!!! hahahaha!!!

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

how big are they? They look big

17. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

They are only 3cm. I have two that I interact with. There is one that I have only seen inside a deep hole, wondering if he is perhaps a pistol. The other I have never seen, I can't even work out which rock he is in. Lucky for him I get really bad migranes and with this heat I seem to suffer every second weekend, so I haven't been on a major mission.
    I bought new rock today, one was ticking, but I am 99%sure it was a pistol cause there were 2 tiny transparent pistols floating in the box.
    I must be honest, I love my mandarin, he is my pride and joy and I stare at him for hours, he is the most beautiful creature I have seen, but my mantis are fascinating and challenging. I have set up their tank on my side of the bed cause I can stare for hours watching and waiting. With the tank on B's side of the bed, its hey where's Nemo. Oh yeah there he is, oh now he's there, and there.* Yawn *

Hey Fishguy, are you - He who is not to be named?

18. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Lol Steve super entertaining to watch indeed especially when it's chow time & give him a freshly caught live glass shrimp or little crabs from bloubergs rock pools, he 1st lets them get comfortable then the hunt begins. Sadly I miss most of his catches but often hear them, by the time I get to the tank he's already chowing down in his pipe. I love these little guys:thumbup:.

Have lots of fun with these guys Mirage, BTW isn't it risky to keep 4 in 1 tank?

19. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

So I am told, but so far they live in peace? The two I interact with usually just peep out of their holes and they can see each other, but don't fuss with each other. Most o the times they just baracade their doorways with rocks. I really wish they would eat the hitch-hiker crabs. I have so many. So much for the fearless killers I keep hearing about? They are only 3cm in length and less than 1cm wide. I actually think they are scared of the crabs? Some of the crabs are 2cm wide.
    If I move them to my 1.2m X0.55 X0.45 tank then they will have tons of space to claim their own territories, but for now they must be good little mommies boys and play nice!

20. Dane

Dane

Hehehe sounds like you're having a ball :) I'm pretty sure if you dont feed the mantis they'll make short work of the crabs! Although as you said - they are very small.

21. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Recent Posts