Mantis help

Reaction score
Hi Hennie

I am still a beginner, in week 4 of cycling my tank so still have a way to go yet.

I have found 2 mantis shrimps in my tank and have no idea of how to get them out without damaging them (I didn't want to just kill them).

I can't place them in my sump as there is no room and they are buried in 2 of my largest pieces of rock.
I tried luring them out with pieces of fish but they are incredibly shy and won't come out.

I took the pieces of rock out of the tank last week and put them into buckets but I was going away and thought it cruel to leave them to freeze to death so I put them in the tank again.

They are still in their original holes.

Do you have any suggestions of how to get them out of their holes if I take the rocks out of the tank again?

yeah i can help u out to get them out where in jhb r u how big is your rock i hav space in my sump and am looking to have a mantis

se the rock up in such a way that there is just a glass under the rock and that is the only way out put some fih in there ad wait for night

they are so cool i have seen a mantis tank and even when u walk passed they come out like hey back off buddy i will get u and i like animals with attitude

how big are they?

you get tiny mantis's that will do nothing then you get the bigger killers,can you see if they have clubs or spears?

yip peacock mantis shrimp...not that aggressive than warrens,mine is more calm(moffie)

my girlfriends mother tank has 2 of these little guys, i cought them once when i took the LR out to catch a damsel(they fell out of the LR)

i threw them back(since that day all livestock is still their and the feed with the other fish)
if you are really worried

i'll say keep them in and if they grow larger than 4cm then catch them and keep them in the sump.

Back
Top Bottom