Mantis and fish

Reaction score
hey guys i bought likesfish's mantis tank from him, but mantis died of heavy stress that day:((very very sad)

Nou i would like to know if i can have fish with a peacock mantis,from what i no is that the peacock mantis only like too eat mussels and kill crabs, snails ect, but not fish.

I want to buy a peacock mantis Thursday( green one or peacock)

plz help

Lanzo, im reading up on the peacock mantis aswel, as i stil want one... There diet consist of that you named, i have seen videos of the peacock in a tank with damsels...

They say if not well fed in a aquarium, they can hunt for food and may attack fish while sleeping...

I wouldn't mix the two, the mantis is a formidable predator.

thanks alan

i really want to try this but i don't want to hurt any fish in the proses, won't it help if the fish is in the tank before the mantis( then just keep the mantis well fed?)

Every one told me to get rid of my green bristel star and since i feed him 3 times a week, he leaves my fish alone, can this maybe be happen with the mantis?

o.k cool i got a peacock mantis yesterday from exotics, he\she is 7cm long and flippen cool, take some pics tomorrow to show you guys!

he doesn't want to come out and pose for a photo, i'
ll try to take ne today.
i added a damsel(one from margate) in with him, and he every thing look "A" o.k

say hallo to my little friend!!!
DSC01616.jpg

i'm waiting for him to come out, i want the get a nice pic.

the litlle guy is very smart, every time when he comes out of his borrow, i grab my camera and try to take a pic, then he just jump back into the borrow.

i'll get him:p

Last edited:
When I went into the store last Monday and saw that Ryan had sold Snuggles, I was ticked off!!!! Dr. Roy Caldwell even told me that mine is one of the biggest O.s.'s (Peacock Mantis) he's ever seen and he is pretty much the world expert on the subject of Stomatopods. Apparently Ryan felt bad because he purchased a new one for me already....her name is Scruffy. Snuggles was very much a pet and he was the most spoiled mantis in America. Many customers would come in simply to feed him. Heck, I've had customers come in simply to play with Tyson too. He's a Boston Terrier puppy that runs around the fish store.

I've been keeping mantis for years when all hobbyists wanted every single one dead.

BTW....if you want decent pics of your mantis, you might need to use a manually focused camera. They can see in the Infra-Red realm and sometimes the autofocus infrared beam freaks them out.

Many of my customers have had their eyes glaze over as I discussed Snuggles Trinocular Stereovision, ability to see polarized lighting, etc.

They've continued the research. Now they've found that they can see CPL (Circular Polarized Light) and not just polarized light as previously thought.

"We invented this a few years ago, and stomatopods [invented it] 400 million years ago," he said, noting that CPL is used in detecting skin cancer. "They have honed and perfected a system that we could learn from."

Here's the article for those interested. Shrimp Eyes May Hold Key to Better Communications

Oops

Maybe I should mention that I've often kept mantis with fish. However, I wouldn't recommend it to most people and certainly not to someone new to mantiskeeping.

thanks mantisfreak,
i have added a damsel with him, and he seems fine.

Is my mantis weared or what, because i have 2 snails in with him and a hermit crab, and he just cruises past them?

Back
Top Bottom