Mangroves

Mudshark, there is an estuary in the Transkei called Mgazana where there are the 3 main types of Mangroves (apparently the only place they all grow together in the world)

Also I believe they are rather slow at denitification, however it would look stunning as a display.

Steve Warren should know a great deal more as he deals with this at the oceanarium.

p.s. I do believe it is illegal to own them:(

Sorry guys - illegal to have any mangroves - there is another thread on this somewhere.

Yeah,it's just as a display but I was thinking of useing an algal scrubber on the same system as it's connected to a soft coral tank. This has got me wondering if there will still be enough phosphate in the system to sustain the mangroves?

There is some good info if you google it, and maybe PM Steve Warren, he knows more than most about this

Thanks for the info guys. Don't think I'll go to the trouble of a permit if it's even possible to get one. I use this hobby to de-stress not create stress....
I have seen seed pods washed up on the beach tough and will keep my eyes open for them in future.
336296mangseed.jpg

They are covered as a threatened and protected species, at least two of the three species that you get at Mngazana anyway. I'm sure the third should also be and have probably just not seen it. I believe it would also be very unlikely (or unwise at least) for the authorities to allow imported species in as well. They could impact on the genetics of the local mangroves and also possibly bring in parasites, etc. that local mangroves would have no resistance to.

Another point to consider is what would you do with the tree when it gets too large?

Another point to consider is what would you do with the tree when it gets too large?

Prune and root prune. Half of the reason that I want to do this is because I am a bonsai grower and I would probably be the first mangrove bonsai owner:thumbup:

What do you think the restrictions on picking up a seed and growing it would be Steve?

Back
Top Bottom