Mangrove refugium

Reaction score
I had the idea of a mangrove refugium in the back of my head for quite some time now, and after another thread posted I decided maybe the time have come to put in some research on this topic(and maybe start doing some planning:thumbup:). I would like to have another tank linked to my system, maybe the same size as my DT, filled with mud, some mangrove plants and other critters you find around a mangrove. It would be nice to make this as natural as possible to keep as a display as well as a additional biological filter. I know this is going to take a lot of research work from my side before I can even start thinking about putting up this tank. I had something like this in mind:

760489164285cb3a.jpg

Just with mud as substrate, some grass and then some crabs, shrimps etc. and a spraybar on top. I would appreciate any inputs you guys have!

Guess I would have to contact nature conservation and get their opinion on this and as Steve Warren said I might be able to get away if I use propagules from outside a protected area. I would also contact my LFS to enquire whether they can legally import some plants for me.

brilliant idea, if you can get it right i would love to jump on the bandwagon and setup something like this:

This would be a great project, accept how are you going get the mangroves ?

I guess I would be obliged to go on holiday for a few days if I'm allowed to use propagules:lol: Otherwise I'm going to call Wikus and see if he can import some plants for me- legally that is!!

brilliant idea, if you can get it right i would love to jump on the bandwagon and setup something like this:

Wow that would be like having a mini garden in the flat, don't think my gf would complain about that!!:whistling:

I just spoke to a lady at Nature Conservation, she has to get back to me regarding permits etc. as it's not something they had ever anything to do with in the Northern Cape. Also spoke to Wikus, he says he can import red mangrove plants but will need a permit to do so, so it looks like it will be possible once the red tape is sorted!

Ok so I have to call the Department of sea fisheries as it is no longer under the act of nature conservation but under that of sea fisheries, but they not picking up their phone!!!:arghh: Can import the red mangrove plants into the Northern Cape through Nature Conservation though, but will have to do a project presentation in order to get a permit so that they can be assured that it won't end up in our eco system! So now only to get hold of Sea fisheries to find out about the local plants!

good luck getting a plant import permit. It takes 4 to 6 months for hte permit. I have one for waterplant :p

Its not something I've looked at in depth but the permits from the Post Office include aquatic plants on possibly the moluscs permit, I will not give you permission to remove young tres (or should not) and they will definitely not transplant but propagules should not be a problem.

Interesting point, I have not checked, but that would change the whole ball game as far as collecting propagules. There are about 5 species in SA, possibly not all are protected. When I went with some researchers to Mngazana (there are three species there) to collect propagules and specimens we saw areas where they harvest the wood so I don't think they are CITES, but I have not checked.

Back
Top Bottom