Manderine fish

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Kalvyn, 12 Jun 2012.

1. Kalvyn

Kalvyn

Hi all. I am thinking of getting me a manderine some time down the line. I have read that they prefer live new born brine shrimp. Where in the cape town area can I find this?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 3dd

3dd

Hi look for brine shrimp eggs, and hatch them yourself, mine loves the stuff. Also as they are not very nutritious gut loading is a good idea (Add some phytoplankton to the hatching vessel a few hours before you feed the fish)

4. mytank

mytank

So from someone that has kept a few and has a few here is some advice:
    1. They do not like a new tank; one of their food sources is pods, which takes a while to populate with a good amount of reproduction in your tank.
    2. The brine shrimp is a great food source but you need to remember a few things:
    a. If you have other buoyant fish they will eat them before they get to the mandarin as the mandarin is a passive fish. Buoyant fish would be fish like: Chromis, Surgeon fish (tangs) etc
    b. You don’t need to buy, I would strongly suggest if you really want to keep one (and they great fish) you buy a Brine Hatchery – AquaMedics makes a good one I have it. There are numerous threads on how to hatch them.
    i. If you go down this route please search for a thread from Paul B around his Brine Feeder its really worth the price and effort. You also keep your fish (not just your mandarin)
    c. Make sure you check out our threads on this there are some good tricks on this
    3. They usually small and for some reason crabs love them at night. Make sure you crab free :) – not too much of an issue but keep it in mind
    4. One of the most important things is when you picking the fish. It is so important and something that KILLS me and why I usually buy a lot of them. Most and I say that with the utter most respect, LFS don’t have enough pods in their holding tanks for the mandarins. The time it takes to sell them you will notice they are THIN THIN THIN. If they hosted in tanks with other tanks mates look for the following:
    a. Make them feed both pellets and flakes and see if they eat
    i. If they eat you lucky J
    ii. If they don’t eat not a bad thing you can still get him if you have your pods and brine
    b. Have a look at fins and the activity of the fish. Mandrins are active little fish.
    5. There is NO excuse for not QT’ing the fish so make sure you QT the little oke with a lot of brine shrimp to feed him.

I know it sounds like a lot but they such beautiful fish and worth all the effort!

5. Jayceew

Jayceew

Even live gut loaded brine shrimp is not a suitable diet alone, they live of pods which they pick off the liverock and if they dont get this balanced diet they tend to slowly starve to death. Offer a mixed diet of frozen brine and mysis and try to get it on small pellet food. Getting them on frozen or pellets could be a challenge.

Think carefully before buying it, lovely fish but quite a hassle to get eating properly.

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

gut loaded brine shrimp are actually fine for mandarin.you can also gut load them with aminomega from brightwells

7. jacqolive

jacqolive

If there is one fish that I wish I QT it would be this one. Not because he was sick or anything but this would be the best and easiest time to get them to eat prepared foods. Mine eats frozen brine but nothing else, I feed it super shrimp but I wish it would eat other things so I can give it a more varied diet. I also don't feed brine every day so some days it doesn't get any food but its healthy and way fatter than when I got her so not to much of a worry at the moment. Here's a pick, sorry for the bad shot dont know where my camera is so had to use phone.

[​IMG]

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

beautiful!

9. raytone

raytone Raytone

When i bought mine it was not eating at all. Very very thin. So i search the internet and found a article about mandarin fish. Very interresting. This guy said that you can take a small glass bottle and soak a little formule one or two pellets in the bottle and place the glass bottle where the fish is most active. It worked for him and i've tried it and the third day i saw her eating the pellets. Now i saw her everyday in the bottle looking for the food. Hope this can help.

10. Kalvyn

Kalvyn Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the advise! @ mytank thanks for the good read. I'll go check it out. They really look like interreristing little fish.

11. mytank

mytank

Always a pleasure!

12. jacqolive

jacqolive

Here's a link to the article.

mytank likes this.
Recent Posts