Mandarins, Wrasses and Food

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by VicZA, 10 Aug 2014.

1. VicZA

VicZA

Yesterday I got myself my first Mandarin - a beauty !!

I am worried that my tank will not produce sufficient pods to sustain this little guy though. I also have 2 banana wrasses and a Leopard Wrasse and they also spend the day looking for pods (although they all eat frozens and flakes as well).

Any suggestions on the long term success with the Mandarin.

When I fed the tank (mysis, brine and cyclops) he did not seem to eat any of it ....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

anybody ?

4. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Mandarins are fussy eaters and won't eat frozen foods unless trained.

5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I had mine for 2 years till he jumped out the tank, I started on live brine and in tank copepods, move onto frozen foods and eventually pelets, its a long process

6. mandrin

mandrin

Mandrins are difficult to feed its a hit a mis to get them to eat frozen food . Try geting a turkey blaster from pick n pay and frozen brine shrimp an try feeding do it slow see if he takes it will take many a attempts to see if he takes . It gona be difficult I tried with 2 Mandrins and had no luck , but guys do it depends on tye fish good luck when u feeding turn yr power heads off .Good luck bud

7. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

OK, will try these suggestions. Thinking of doing a hatchery for live brine but I am not too sure where to get the eggs from ...

8. archiecrain

archiecrain

If you can keep keep a consistant feeding shedule of freshly hatched brine then you cant go wrong....PITA, but great for its health.

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

any good LFS will stock, Else google brine shrimp eggs and look for a local supplier that ships.

10. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

I bought mine from Jungle Aquatics, hatched them a week ago. Syphoned them off and now keeping them going so i can get them to adult stage. Its very simple to do this. I also got my Mandarin this weekend and its happily chomping of my life rock which i assume to be copepods. I have a nice copepod colony in my fuge but not sufficient enough to start harvesting yet. So time will tell.

I am sure A sponsor can post you a box of Ocean Nutrition Brine shrimp eggs.

IMHO, take the ones without the salt. Your water from a water change is fine for hatching. The package without the salt is 50g eggs. The ones with salt is 3g eggs plus 47g salt. (Stand to be corrected) bang for buck going to eggs only. So you could try more until you get it right.

Google is your friend here.

Good luck

11. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

How did you establish this ? What have you got in your fuge ?

12. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

This might be strange, instead of going for a DSB or even Liverock, I Went with Seachem Matrix. I have i nice layer of that, then i have a bunch of cheato and cuaperlaalala( whatever its called) :)

I dumped a few small pieces of Liverock in and forgot about it.

6 months later, and there are a few nice fat ones in there, quite big. So i think a few months more and it should be enough to start a seperate fuge just for copepod breeding. Until yhen i do the freshly hatched brine shrimp. I think the liverock in my tank might also have seeded the copepods in my fuge over a period of time as there were no know natural predators in my tank to kill them of.

So in short, liverock is the cure or maybe a fellow reefkeeper can sponsor you a few to populate your fuge

13. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

OK, got some eggs and am attempting my first hatching soon. Was wondering .... if you wanted to raise the hatchlings to slightly larger shrimp, what could you feed them. I have cyclops and lobster eggs as part of my frozen food for my fish ... could that work ?

14. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

I have been feeding mine phytoplankton and spirulina.

15. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

I don't have any of those - would Lobster eggs and Cyclops be "too big" ?

16. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

Google says, "fine, non dissolvable food". I don't know cyclops or lobster egg size. But from what i assume, it should be something soft. I am sure fine fish flakes should work aswell. Just one thing, feed as little as possible, since you cant run a filter. Your water will go bad very easily.

17. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Cyclops would work, you can try frozen brine with a turkey baster, shoot in close to the mandarin so it looks like they're alive, hit and miss, you may or may not fool it into believing it's live food...

18. jimilutz

jimilutz

I have manager to train my dragonets, mandarins and pipefish onto cyclops and lobster eggs. Start out with live brine shrimp and mix in a bit of cyclops with each feeding. This tricks them into testing the brine shrimp and once they have eaten it this way for a few days, the are hooked.

19. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

@butcherman @JIMiluts @SilverWolf @archiecrain @gMAN all the info I have read regarding hatching the brine shrimp say that they hatch better if they are aerated. The question is how much should it be aerated ? I run a tiny air pump and a small airstone into the container with the eggs in tank water. That ok ?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I added my mandarins to the tank first, got them eating dead food and then added wrasses. I've got two splendidus and a stellatus all eating pellets now. The small Hikari pellets are really good IME. Good size for medium to large mandarins and they're really strong smelling which seems attractive to a lot of difficult fish.

21. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

Buddy,

Remove the airstone. It kills your brineshrimp

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts