Mandarin Fish: Got extra male, want female

Reaction score
Hi all,

A few months ago I bought a second Mandarin (got a 700+liter tank, so there's enough food), which I hoped was a female. It was in bad shape at the petshop, but I've been looking for a female for a long time, and I couldn't see any spiked fin on this one, so I rescued it.

Since then it has recovered successfully, but it has also grown a considerably spikey fin on its back. Now I've got two males.
Anyone wants to swop, wants a male, or have a female available? It's Synchiropus splendidus not the green spotted Synchiropus picturatus.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
hey bud. i dont know to much about mandarins.
i have a 250l tank and it has just finished cycling.
i have an urchin, bristle star, blenny and 4 hermits...
looks like a fantastic fish!
and would like to get one...
some info on it would be nice, and if it would be alright in my tank?

Reaction score
ah, just did a google search and found they eat pods.. none of those in my tank :(
sorry man :(

Reaction score
how old does a system have to be to keep a mandarin? and how long til pods will show up?

Reaction score
how old does a system have to be to keep a mandarin? and how long til pods will show up?
at least 6 months till there enough to keep him well fed. Also don't but other creatures that will compete (Copperband, wrasses) these are not the fastest fish around ;)

Reaction score
Sorry, been away on training ... Yes, pods will have increased enough in 6 months or so if you've got enough live rock and not too many fish eating the pods (like wrasses etc.). Unfortunately, I'd say your tank is too small for a mandarin (unless it eats frozen food / flakes).

BTW, there probably are lots of pods in your tank - take a flashlight to it in the night and you should see some scurrying around. It will just not be enough to sustain the mandarin (especially if there are other pod-eaters around).

Reaction score
i got a female and also looking for a male, she was also in a bad state when i got her and is recovering very fast since i added vita-c

Reaction score
Hi Lanzo,

If you're sure yours is a female, maybe you want to get my extra male for her? I take it your tank is big enough for two of them to have enough food?

Anyway, PM me if you're interested in the male. We go to PTA every now and then, so I could bring it with.

Reaction score
Hey abgg

If Lanzo is not interested I am. I have plenty of pods and my femail is now nice and fat :)