Mandarin & Bipartitus

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Kunhardt, 13 Aug 2009.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Looking for a new fish for my tank since I returned my Henniochus. I really like the Bipartitus and think it would make a nice addition. However I do have one concern and that is I have a Mandarin in my tank thats been doing well for the past 4 or 5 months now, he's fat and healthy and the pod population is still blooming, do you think that the addition of another pod eater will maybe curb the population too much and thus cause the Mandarin to go hungry? I have heard though that Bipartitus' can get lazy and may not even go after too many pods after some time...true or false?

Info that may help - tank is 50 gallons, has about a 5cm deep sand bed in tank, small refugium over DSB (Les is busy designing a new bigger one to go over the sump at this moment) and plenty of live rock and tank has been running just over 8 months now.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

dude from what i saw today id say it could be done.. i would personally wait a little longer given your recent rescape in fear of you having a mini cycle bloom again due to this addition. if you are sure your params are 0 (amm and nitrite) id go for it..

the pd side of it should be fine given the inclusion of the new refuiguim we spoke about, got your sms but i must just clarify something with you.. going to dig in my garage now to go find the pieces we need

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks Les, ya I'm happy with my parameters considering everything is looking healthy again and also due to the fact I have been adding Prime incase there has been an ammonia spike to remove it and any nitrites.

Get hold of me on Skype about the tank, I see you off line, thats why i sent the sms lol i think it took up 4 sms's :lol:

5. mnd123

mnd123

Kunhardt, I have a 6-line wrasse and mandarin in my 1.2M (tank is 18 months old and pod heaven) and my mandarin is happy and fat, so I guess there is more than enough to go around?

6-line is faster and a bully and they both fat.

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks for the feed back MND, I am just a bit scared since my Mandarin is happy and would hate to do anything thats going to be detrimental to his well being.

7. Prodigy

Prodigy

Is the Bipartitus the scientific name for a leopard wrasse?

8. Tony

Tony

In this case I would say go for it. The refugium always helps maintain the pod population in a tank

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

yip :)

Thanks for the input Tony, makes me feel a bit more confident about getting one.

10. Prodigy

Prodigy

Very nice fish dude but if there anything that will affect the mandy i would say no
    Mandy is my FAV!!!!:p

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Haha, ya I know...I've seen how you drool every time its comes out of hiding. ;)

12. Snappy

Snappy

How big is the tank? How much rock do you have? etc, etc. These are big factors to consider.

13. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Hmmm I thought I wrote all this at the top of my post ;):P:razz:

14. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Well bought the Bipartitus. He can be seen on my thread :)

15. Snappy

Snappy

My oversight. I personally think a 50 gal is too small but time will tell. "plenty" of live rock tells us nothing as plenty is defined differently by everyone. The question would be is, can the pod population be sustained indefinately with more than one "pod hunter"? My leopard wrasse eats pellets so hopefully yours will eat other food as well. Anyway, I hope to hear in another year that everything is great.

16. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks for the Reply Snappy. That is the question indeed. I would like to think so, specially since I am in the process of getting a bigger dedicated refugium built in place of the small above DSB one. As you said time will tell, lets hope for the best.

As for why I said "plenty" instead of a definitive weight...well to be honest I have no clue of the weight of my rock 30-50-60kg? maybe more, I can honestly say I never weighed it all and forget the weight of each piece I placed in the tank.

17. Snappy

Snappy

Well it sounds like you do have "plenty" of rock so I'd think you'd be fine. In North America we can buy live pods so if you can there as well you may want to get a bottle and seed your fuge when it gets going just for some added insurance.

18. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Ya I have read u guys can buy live pods there...am so jealous, wish we got them here. Its not a train smash though as I live 10 minutes from the beach so its just a matter of collecting some from the rock pools when I collect water next. Buying them would be much easier though. :biggrin:

Recent Posts