man vs. machine !

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by iamwrasseman, 2 Jan 2011.

1. iamwrasseman

iamwrasseman

i have always hand dosed my tanks and i do have alot of them ,just wondering how many dose by hand and how many dose with dosers etc . what do you think are the pros and cons of each ? im new here but have been in salt for 20+ years ,i have always played the KISS method but now all my tanks are on a common sump and it may be time to get some machines going on this ocean of mine ! whatcha think ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

I've seen alot guys here by going the KISS route of and then complicating things by trying this and that only to go back a few months later to something as simple as ONLY dosing kalk once a day ... and their systems seem spectacular! Also found that one of the best things I could for my tanks and alot guys here will back me up the on this .... leaving the tanks to stabilize on their own and stop fiddling with them too much helps achieve a happy reef.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. iamwrasseman

iamwrasseman Thread Starter

i hear ya but i have to constantly battle low alk as a result of 45+ fish in 400 gallons of water . my skimmer is probably good for 250 /300 gallons but i do 45 gallon a week water changes and my nitrates are at 0 most of the time also po4 is at 0.07 today and thats not bad considering that i have to feed all these critters.

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If it is only alk that you are battling, then why not add it to the top up tank? A doser is awesome and I would love one, but they are quite pricey for me.

6. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

What do they go for?

7. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

A profilux quad doser with built in controller (so that you can use it without the full system) is R5500. R3500 for the single I think. The aqua medic quad is around R3500 for the quad.

8. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Thats not to bad....

9. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Expensive is all relative to how much you have. And after the festive season there is none.

10. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

i agree - i will rather buy LS for that money :D

11. Manic

Manic Moderator

Once you own a dosing pump you will see why it is so worth it. On my system alk is set to dose 12 times a day, calcium 10 times a day, potassium 2 times a day and vodka 2 times a day. It gives my whole system great stability and the ease of use is amazing. If I test my alk and it is low I just push a few buttons and it doses more everyday, alk issue sorted.

12. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

Hi, i have dosed manually and must say you have to be very dutiful and punctual. Since starting the build on my new tank i have decided to dose using a dosing pump. I intend dosing Alk, Ca, either strontium or magnesium.
    Just the same i have found that once the tank stabilises in terms of its consumption rate then it requires contant doses of the above to keep it stable. Automation will definitely remove this 'burden' and ensure that the constant doses are provided.
    My personal choices are either aquamedic triple doser or bubble magus triple doser.
    They are pricey(even if you have a budget) and yes it will be a major blessing to keep parameters constant. Constant stable parameters is what makes a reef very succesful.

BTW: I have read most of the reefcentrals tank of the month threads and all these succesful tanks run a dosing system....it says alot for how important dosing pumps are in order to keep a succesful thriving reef.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2011
  13. Nippy

Nippy

Hi there Manic

What system are u using and where could u get one for my system, have to manually dose after checking my parameters:whistling:.

Thanks
    Nippy

14. Manic

Manic Moderator

I'm running the profilux quad doser. Can't remember how much I paid for it but it was upwards of R5000 I think. Any sponsor should be able to order one for you. It does depend on what type of corals you are keeping though. For softies and LPS I would say the dosing pump is overkill as most of these corals are not heavily reliant on constant water parameters. If you have a SPS reef then I would go for a dosing pump.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2011
  15. Manic

Manic Moderator

This is the main reason my new tank incorporates T5 lighting and a dosing pump.

Also the Brightwells Reef Code A powder contains strontium so you would only really need 2 dosing pumps to do calcium, strontium and alkalinity.

16. iamwrasseman

lots of great input here ! i believe that in the near future i will be adding a doser but i have been reluctant only because when i do it i know it gets done and if i dont do it i know i must catch up . i just am somewhat scared of my thousands in aquatic life depending on a machine that is plugged into the wall . on the flip side everything else is plugged into the wall so why not that too !

17. Suhayl

Suhayl

The only costly thing is having to replace the tubing of the dosers which is costly. I dont know of the Profilux but the Aquamedic and some other makes are very expensive.

18. Manic

Manic Moderator

The replacement tubes for the profilux doser are around R70. Is that expensive? They are supposed to last a long time.

19. iamwrasseman

i have heard that there is a maintence issue with the tubing but i will have to check into how much it costs here in the states . thanks

Recent Posts