Male blue throats fighting

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ziguri, 19 Feb 2015.

1. ziguri

ziguri

I currently have 2 male blue throated triggerfish in my tank. One of them looked like a female when it was smaller but with time it developed the colors which differentiate the males . They both got along extremely well until recently. They are both more or less the same size , but one doesn't allow the other one to go inside of the rocks when the tanks lights are off and it chases it all over the tank . The one being chased even jumped out of the tank on one occasion. When I switch all of the lights off including room lights , it is able to go into the rocks to sleep without the other one noticing , but as soon as the other one wakes up, it will chase it until the lights are back on again , once lights are on it doesn't chase it as much . At feeding time they share the food happily with each other without any issues . Should I be finding one of the triggers a new home, or is there something I can do? I added more live rock for hiding places but the more aggressive one just included the extra hiding place on his own territory yet again, not allowing the other one to go in if he can help it . Any thoughts please? It hasn't injured it yet, but this chasing has been going in for about 2 months now

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

You'll have to get rid of one of them

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

what is the size of you tank?

Most likely you need to put a for sale thread up for the one.

5. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

It's a 450 liter , I could convince my brother to take one, he has a 450 liter as well, he's just a bit hesitant that it might eat his corals and peppermint shrimps , it hasn't bothered my shrinps though and I only caught it nipping a few times at a hammer coral

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

move it to his tank, check how it goes.
    If it does not behave then you need to find another home for it, FOWL setup.

7. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Good chance it'll eat peppermints. I've kept them with coral bandeds, but anything smaller is likely on the menu.

8. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Managed to catch him yesterday and add him to my bros tank. Was looking reasonably happy and at least now he can go and lock himself into the rock crevices in peace :)

Recent Posts