Making your own food

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Alfie, 25 May 2008.

1. Alfie

Alfie

viper357 likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alfie

Alfie Thread Starter

Here is the recipe, we can add on etc to make a nice food mix.

Here is one way to make your own food for your reef tank.
    • ~2 c. Uncooked, de-shelled fresh shrimp
    • ~1/2 c. Uncooked, frozen "white" fish (any type of non-fatty, white ocean fish is good... flounder, whitefish, etc)
    • ~1/2 c. Uncooked, fresh mussel or clam or oyster or combination
    • 1 full sheet Nori (unsalted, unspiced, dried)
    • 1 tsp Selcon (Selco)
    • 1 tsp lemon juice (to preserve and provide vitamin C)
    • Many other items can be thrown in for variety. A mixture of prepared retail foods is common, brine shrimp, greenwater, vitamins, etc. Just be certain to use high quality foods.
    To prepare the food, keep out ~1/2 c of the shrimp, combine all others except nori in a blender. Add fresh saltwater (or microwave (to boiling) some tank water to use) and blend until smooth. Add nori, chop, but don't completely blend into oblivion. Chop remaining shrimp into small pieces by hand, ~1-4mm in size, add to the mash and combine, but don't blend thoroughly. If the blend is too thick, add more salt water. Another option is to add concentrated phytoplankton (such as DTs).
    Spoon/pour the mash into individual ziplock baggies (usually 4-6 of them) and lay flat in the freezer (I use a baking pan until they are semi-solid to prevent them from being really thick in spots). Be careful not to make it too thick in the baggies as its hard to break apart later. This keeps it in a few batches that should last if well sealed.
    To use the food: Break off (typically can snip off pieces, if its not too thick, by hand) and defrost the food in a cupful of tank water. You can either leave it whole and let the fish tear it apart or do as I do and create a snowstorm out of it by allowing it to defrost and then using a turkey baster to break it all apart in the cup. All of the various particle sizes allow all of your animals (corals and detritivores) to feed.

Reef Maniac likes this.
  4. Alfie

Alfie Thread Starter

Ok I was looking up selco and came up with this. Might be good for guys trying to rear fry.
    Super SELCO

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

ok this was my recipe when i use to feed frozen foods.
    mussels,shrimps,calamari,hake,nori and garlic.all chucked into a blender (wife wasnt too happy) and mixed up and then poured into an ice tray (wife wasnt too happy though) and chucked into freezer.
    when i needed to feed,took out a block and placed in a teastrainer (wife wasnt too happy though),pour boiling water over it to defrost, let all the juices strain out and then chuck the food into the tank.fish go wild for the recipe

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

yup, an excellent recipe.

Us South Africans just have a problem getting hold of Selcon / Selco. If anyone imports this item, please let me know.

A good addition to the mix is to add fresh fish roe. Guys who catch their own fish, like Sean Koekemoer, should have no trouble with this, but for us poor 'binnelanders' it's a bit of hit and miss trying to get fish roe from a fishmonger...

Word of advice here - it works really well in a Kenwood Chef food processor, but doing so can REALLY cause the wife to become aggressive (for some unknown reason they don't like the smell of fishy foods...), so wait until she visits the inlaws before you do it :)

Hennie

7. Alfie

Alfie Thread Starter

Hennie I was thinking about ordering a bottle or 2.

8. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Great recipes there, nice one Alfie, and of course Hennie's angry warning should be taken seriously:(

9. Reef Maniac

If you do, PLEASE let me know, and I will order a few bottles as well - this way we can save on freight costs.

Hennie

10. Alfie

Alfie Thread Starter

I was just looking. 500ml = $65.95 and 125ml = $14.95. 4 X 125 ml will save $6 per 500ml.

Hennie how many would you want?

11. Reef Maniac

would these prices be for Selco, Super Selco, or Selcon? I will take 2 of the 125ml bottles if it's the Super Selco or Selcon.

Let me know the cost of transport, etc. and I will deposit the money into your bank account.

Hennie

12. Alfie

Alfie Thread Starter

It is for Super Selco. I will order tomorrow and when it gets here will let you know costs.

13. Reef Maniac

Great - thanks :)

Hennie

14. Warr7207

Warr7207

What is Selco ?

15. Alfie

Alfie Thread Starter

Super SELCO

Super SELCO (Self-Emulsifying Lipid Concentrate) is used to enrich Artemia nauplii and rotifers with higher levels of omega-3 highly unsaturated fatty acids (HUFA's). Super SELCO contains twice the levels of omega-3 HUFA's than does standard SELCO.

It is generally recognized that artemia nauplii (newly hatched brine shrimp) contain insufficient levels of omega-3's, in particular the essential fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), to fulfill the nutrient requirements of many marine larval fish and crustaceans. Super SELCO provides for the highest levels of assimilation, or bio-encapsulation, of these essential fatty acids into natural prey items such as rotifers and artemia, producing a higher quality live larval diet.

Contents: Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) lipid concentrates, emulsifant, water, vitamins, minerals, ethoxyquin (as preservative).

Analysis: Lipids,65%; Ash, max. 3%; Omega-3 HUFA's, minimum 400 mg./g. dry weight (compare to 200 mg./g. dwt for standard SELCO); Vit. A, min. 1,500,000 IU/kg.; Vit. D3, min. 150,000 IU/kg.; Vit. E, 3,600 mg./kg.; Vit. C, 800 mg./kg.

16. Warr7207

Warr7207

Are you going use it to feed brine or just use in your recipe ?

17. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Warr - As far as I know - Selco/Selcon is a vitamin and trace element mixture for fish.... If I am correct - anyone - please correct me on this....

18. Alfie

Alfie Thread Starter

Use in recipe for now. But if required for raising artemia and brine shrimp then it is available.

19. jacquesb

Ooops - sorry Alfie - I posted that same time as you.... Thanks.

20. Alfie

Alfie Thread Starter

How is this for a food recipe

Mac's Famous Fish Loaf

A proven recipe for Reef Tanks that drives marine fish wild and adds zest (and color) to your reef tank.
    Contributed by Kevin M., a.k.a., "ReeferMac," who can sometimes be found on several online forums, including Reef Central Online Community. Kevin maintains a 230-gallon, mostly SPS tank, as well as a variety of marine fish, including a Sailfin Tang, a Rabbitfish, some Chromis and Clownfish.
    Approximate cost of the recipe per batch $160-200. One batch lasts one year or more as fed every-other-day.
    This Recipe is comprised of roughly equal parts (by volume) of dry and wet ingredients that are thoroughly mixed, placed in molds and frozen.
    Dry Ingredients:

Wet Ingredients

This is largely subject to what's available at your local seafood counter — preferably fresh, but frozen will do.
    • Salmon (skin removed)
    • Tuna steak
    • Scallops (if you can afford it, invertebrates love it!)
    • Lobster Legs (smash with hammer, remove most of the shell — same with Crabs and Clams. Avoid putting shell into blender)
    • Crab
    • Clams
    • Haddock
    • Smelt
    • Shrimp, especially shrimp! (frozen shrimp are easy to grate)
    • 8 oz. Frozen Cyclopeeze
    • 125 ml. Selco
    • 125 ml. Tahitian Blend Algae Cryopaste
    Appliances:

• Jell-O-Beans Jiggler trays (or, plastic shallow ice tray)
    • Medium-duty food processor or glass blender
    • Two 5 gallon plastic buckets (one for dry ingredients, one for wet)
    • Kitchen shears (for cutting up larger pieces of alga, seafood, etc.)
    • Cheese grater
    • Rubber gloves (optional)
    Directions:

• Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in one bucket. Save the powders for last as it gets a little messy once the powders are added.
    • Grate, cut, dice and otherwise render the combination of wet fresh and frozen ingredients into a range of particle sizes and mix by hand in the other bucket.
    • Mix Selco and Tahitian Blend into wet ingredients. Add water sparingly to assist in thorough mixing.
    • Then it gets messier! Gradually transfer the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together. Take care to eliminate pockets of unmixed ingredients. Gloves will make this process less painstaking, but on the other hand, Kevin claims this cold mix feels good on arthritic joints.
    • Once wet and dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed, fill the ice trays or Jell-O-Bean trays and freeze. If using freezer bags, keep the thickness between 0.5" to 1"
    • Feed at the rate of one Jell-O-Bean every other day. Hand feed the bigger chunks to the larger fish or even some of the larger inverts (brains, anemone, etc.)
    Precautions:

• Use a dedicated blender. Fish oil has a way of staining blenders. Unauthorized use of a food blender may result in a dented frying pan (you get the picture.)
    • Don't overfeed. Observe feeding behavior and adjust amounts fed so as to prevent excess or uneaten food from fouling your tank.
    • Do not be surprised if your fish get very excited when you approach the tank at mealtime.

21. jacquesb

BTW: Many thanks for starting this thread - AWESOME info Alfie!

Recent Posts