Making plumbing leak proof

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Johan van Aardt, 2 Oct 2009.

1. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

So id just like to know whats the best way to make pipes leak proof for our fish tanks.

can we use teflon tape? And ive heard that we can use tangit glue? Is silicone ok to seal woth or will it also get a leak in time?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. davidfr7

davidfr7

Pvc pipe you use pvc weld Tangit is good apply on both sides . pvc threaded pipe PTFE white plumbers tape dont be shy put plenty. Silicone is only for glass or poly pipe, on poly pipe which is black flexy pipe you heat the pipe and put silicone on the fitting insert into pipe and clamp

4. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt Thread Starter I love marines [R.I.P.]

If i use tangit it wont be removable would it? My setup right now is temporary, im moving the whole thing after we have built on to the house, so i need to make my pvc watertight but still removable

5. FransSny

FransSny

Johan, depending on where in your setup you can use male / female connectors (they are PVC welded to the main pipes) add a O ring. When needed to remove just unscrew them .

Used them in my previous setup

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I just use silicone on all my 50mm connections. If it is an overflow pipe it will not have pressure in it. So it is safe to just silicone it. For temp systems, this is 100%.

Pipes from heavy pumps, like in closed loop systems, I think silicone will not last.

When I started my first tank, all my overflow pipes were just pushed into each other. No glue, no silicone, nothing. Just pushed together. Had one place with a bit of salt creep, everything else did not leak at all. Maybe just lucky?

7. Tony

Tony

The tape and silicone are good for a temporary setup but you should use the PVC long term. Don't be shy with it and push the two connections together and don't twist them together when you use the PVC weld

8. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Then use a pvc union...

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Believe me, you will be surprised by how good silicone will glue it. I struggled to get a previous temporary set up dismantled. No problem with it. As long as you use silicone only on non-pressure pipes.

10. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt Thread Starter I love marines [R.I.P.]

So then its only silicone so far(i bet u guys can guess what im doing sunday)

the high pressure ill use clear pipe , silicone, fittings and stainles steel clamps

11. Slummies

Slummies

remind me to post pics tomorrow johan. just done plumbing and its tOOOO good!

Recent Posts