Making Lugol's Solution

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Tony, 31 Mar 2011.

1. Tony

Tony

I'm thinking about making Lugol's. The formula is simple enough. Take 5g iodine crystals and 10g potassium iodide and mix it with enough distilled water to make 100ml of fluid which will give me a solution strength of 150mg/ml. I can get the chemicals and water no problem and I have the scale that works in 1g increments so the accurate measurement isn't a problem. All in all it will cost me about R14-00 rand to produce 100ml which is a million times cheaper than what we pay for it in the fish shops.

What I need are some pointers or possible problems.

What is the strenght of Lugol's we buy in the pet shops? I can assume that it's pretty much the same considering it's a standard recipe.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

Mmm intresting - will follow this.

Where do you get the chemicals from tony?

4. brentv

brentv

Tagging :biggrin:

5. gaboon

gaboon

I bought Lugol's solution from the chemist for R34

6. Adee

Adee

The question I wanted to know, is Lugols solution a general term or does it have a very specific scientific make up? If it is the latter then I would assume whether u buy it from the chemist or from Tropic Marin or Brightwells....then Lugol's is Lugol's wherver you buy it from?

Anyone has clear directive on this?

Tony, I've always wanted to try the same route as you...but was not sure as I did not have a clear answer to my question posted. In terms of your recipe, the addition of the potassium element is also a plus. What will your dosing regime be?

7. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Adee, everywhere I have looked has given the same formula. I will PM Hennie or Midasblenny a link to the thread and maybe they can give some insight on this.

The potassium iodide is added to make the iodine water soluble and forms something called triiodide. I'm not sure on my dosing regimen but I will use an iodine test and work out my consumption as I'm not sure about the strength in relation to Lugol's bought at and LFS

8. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Theree are two places I get stuff from One is Glassworld in The florida/ Maraisburg are but they only sell the stuff in 500g units which is way to much but nice if you share it with a few reefers. I have gone to a company called Edutrade who sell the stuff in 100g units which is still a lot of chemical as it will make about a litre using 50g iodine and 100g of potaddium iodide. We all know that will last forever

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I don't know, but I doubt it - just like most other things being sold in this hobby, there is no guarantee :whistling: Take for example the so-called "Actinic" lights. Actinic lights were developed by Philips for use to treat newborn babies for yellow jaundice. This lamp emits a purple light at a very specific wavelength, but every second marine lighting manufacturer now makes an "Actinic" lamp, and very few of them are of the same colour/wavelenth as the original...

Hennie

10. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Hennie, would it be safe to make this product for use the our marine aquariums?

11. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Learnt a few more things. One should only mix it in glass. Dont use metal to mix it together, rather use a wooden or plastic spatula, stick etc. Leave it overnight to dissolve properly.

12. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I don't see why it would be any more dangerous than adding a shop-bought solution.

Personally, I believe that we are adding enough iodine/iodide to our tanks by just feeding the fish. I don't add any iodine to my tank (AND I skim pretty heavily), and my corals have been doing rather well for the past 12 or so years...

You will do better (IMHO) to spend the money and time on making or buying better/more nutritious fish food, rather than buying or making iodine additives.

Hennie

13. robvdv

robvdv

The term Actinic was originally used to describe light that could be used safely in a dark room without fogging the film. I used actinic lights in my black and white film photography course. Dunno how Phillips decided it was a good idea to piggyback (and thus confuse) the same term.

+1. Rather get a Salifert iodine test kit first so you can measure consumption rates. No point adding something (potentially dangerous) without being able to tell if it's necessary or not.

14. robvdv

robvdv

Also, I've bought Lugol's for peanuts before, under R20. The last time I bought it it was R38 for 100ml, IIRC. I've also bought Kent Lugols at Sam's for R170, IIRC. ;)

15. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Lugols from the chemist comes with a strength of 5%. I use to add one drop per 100 litre, every day. Without any problems.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2011
  16. Seabass

Seabass

Good to know, I use to add 1-6 drops a day, split morning and night, but have cut back to 1-2 drops per day. System being about 540 lts.

17. Tremayn

Tremayn

Cool :) ... I must check if the pharmacy has Lugols solution :p ..

18. Mo_G

Mo_G MASA Contributor

Used this a few years back without any issues except when 1 of the chemical had reached the exp date which I did not check and the solution did not work.
    I only realised this when the SPS tips started burning.

Just make sure you check the exp date.

The glass used to keep the solution must be a dark colour not clear.

19. Mc

Mc

If you wonder why the chemist looks at you strangely when you buy lugols, or why you can only get it in small quantities, its because its a regulated substance.
    Reason for that is its used in the production of crystal meth.:biggrin:

20. Seabass

Seabass

Cool thread, back to the top you go.

21. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

@Seabass, I think you just bumped the thread to see if anyone can elaborate on the crystal meth comment above :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts