Making a Kenya Tree Happy again

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by PeterL, 19 May 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

I have this Kenya tree in my tank and it jusp mopes, I have moved it left and right and up and down and in flow and no flow and low flow...each new position I leave it for a few days and I just don't get any improvement, if I target feed with Zooplankton and Phyoplankton it tends to perk up again for a short while and then goes limp again.

It certainly isn't deat and there is nothing obstructing it, there is nothing to help me understan why it just sits all mopy the why is always is. I had it going strong and it was really happy until I put the torch coral in, it's tips extended just enough for them to barely touch but I saw that the tree was always closed on that side so I moved the tree. Since moving the tree, there is basically no where in the tank where I can get it "happy" again.

How do I get it to perk up?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trev

Trev

I find my K Tree is a great indicator of my alk levels and when flops almost always means my alk is low.

4. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Seeing as though I am no expert on alk, what would the more correct manner be in which to increase it and not drop the PH because my understanding is as one lifts, it lowers the other...

5. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

do you dose iodene?

also mine can sulk for 2 weeks at a time so maybe leave it in a low to medium flow and medium light area for at least 2 weeks

6. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I don't dose with anything just yet, I have based all and any changes and or dosing ideas on the reactions of my fish and corals and the only one giving me grief is this tree. bi-monthly WC's help the system until it is properly settled.

I have moved it to a lower corner with less light and also less flow about 2 days ago, I gave it a good target feeding with Zooplankton and Phytoplankton mix tonight and just before lights out it looked a little happier but I couldn't be certain. I will leave it there for some time and se how it goes.

7. Trev

Trev

Get a alk and mag test kit or get some one to test it for you, you may find ether is low then dose ether bicarb to sort out the alk or epson salts to sort the mag out. Use the epson salt as a short term fix only there is abetter product to use but for nnow it will be fine. But you should realy get ph,alk,mag,cal test kits then test and dose acordingly your corals will love you and give you much more size growth and colour special K Tree its a very iffy coral kinda like zenia they are my indicators in my tank.

Trev

8. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip Trev, will certainly get the testing sorted ASAP and correct the system accordingly. I have been using a very basic form of test kit but is isn't really accurate I don't think, based on that information and together with what the rest of my system is showing me, for the most part things are OK. But as you suggested, the corals will do a lot better with more correct parameters

9. Trev

Trev

Zombie I looked at what you have got in your tank and the problem is not light or flow Im 99% sure its a lack of a chem in your water, with that many fish and corals in there and you not buffering I am sure its gonna be your alk thats low its the first to drop.

Trev

Recent Posts