Make your own fish food

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by robvdv, 25 May 2011.

1. robvdv

robvdv

Some people have asked how I make my fish food. There are a lot of recipes on the web, so I don't think this is particularly new or clever, but here goes anyway.

This time around I used:
    Pilchards, 700g
    Whole prawns, 800g
    Shrimp tails, 1000g
    Seafood mix, 600g
    Hake fillets, 300g
    Nori torn into strips, 40g
    Two vitamin pills, finely grated and dissolved in water. I use Solgar VM 2000
    Two tablespoons of freeze dried spirulina

All in all, it made around 3.5kg

Feel free to swap ingredients out. Try get at least one fish, bivalve, cephalopod and crustacean. Often you find good stuff at bait stores. They'll have red bait, white mussel, octopus and so on. They also don't have preservatives added.

Make sure to wash the ingredients thoroughly. They're often shipped with a "protective glaze" (often sodium bisulfite) which you likely don't want to add to the tank. Try and keep them as cold as possible. Some defrosting is inevitable.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut off the pilchard heads and pull off the prawn thorax and head. Blend them so that they're absolutely smooth. They're nutritionally important, but if your fish can't physically consume them, they're no good.

Add the nori and the vitamin water and blend a bit more so the nori is chopped up a bit.

[​IMG]

Then blend each ingredient separately. Make sure to blend it just enough so that the particle size is around the size of your fishes' mouths. I normally try and avoid marinara mix because the mussels wind up pureed while the octopus tentacles have barely been chopped at all.

[​IMG]

I put them into ice cube trays, since I use around two or three cubes a day. You might want to freeze them into flat Ziploc bags. Just be a little careful with what you use, because fish food sticks in a way regular ice cubes won't. I've broken a number of second rate ice cube trays trying to get frozen fish food out of them.

[​IMG]

It's normally a big mess and a nasty process, so I try to make as much as possible at once. Make sure the blender gets a thorough soaking afterwards to avoid making your spouse angry :)

I've tried using gelatine at a couple of different concentrations before as a binder, but I've never been happy with the results. Instead, when I want to feed a particular particle size I use micron mesh to sieve it. For getting out the chunky, fish only pieces I use a tule (bridal veil) strainer.

archiecrain likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Cool. Thanks Rob.:thumbup:

Now for honesty, you have tried it on a salty crack?

4. robvdv

robvdv Thread Starter

What exactly are you asking me? :)

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Rob those pics on the prawns and components look so inviting. Just wondering if you were not tempted to sneak a snack. :)

6. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Thanks for the great info Rob. Is this all that you feed your fish? Or do you supplement with anything else? Do you always sieve the mush out, or do you sometimes leave it to feed corals and filter feeders?

7. robvdv

robvdv Thread Starter

I've had no temptation to try it. Doesn't smell too bad, though.

In tanks with filter feeders, I leave it unsieved. When I feed fish only tanks, I typically sieve it. Sometimes I'm lazy and I just leave it.

Last edited: 25 May 2011
  8. seank

seank

Thought all cracks are salty, especially in the afternoon :whistling:

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Ah you just cracked me up :lol:

@robvdv - My fish are from India, must I use pilchards in chilli sauce? :tt2:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. seank

seank

:lol:

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Rob you say that you just defrost and feed. Have you had any PO4 issues? Or is there something you do to minimise?

12. robvdv

robvdv Thread Starter

I don't test phosphate, generally. I have a kit, but it's just not an issue for me with my tanks now. Algae growth in full sunlight is slow, so I have no nutrient problems :)

13. seank

seank

Rob, if you say you feed about three of those blocks/cubes a day, to how many fish is that???

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

Nice man :) .. It makes it so much better when people just upload pics :p .. I wouldnt use seafood mix because of the "crab sticks" as they are just fish with crab flavouring.
    Just a question, when you feed the food does it not just cloud the water? Seems like a lot of the particles are just a mush

15. robvdv

robvdv Thread Starter

About 110 or so, plus some coral. I should feed more.

Very interesting, thanks. I've always thought they were dodgy.

Not really. A little bit, locally, but it doesn't make the water cloudy per se. I'm fine with adding food juice. By the time reefers are willing to add "marine snow" and liquid zooplankton substitute and crap like that, I'm fine with adding microparticles of known nutritious food.

Broder likes this.
  16. Keanan

Keanan 2time

:eek: got any pics?:biggrin:

17. seank

seank

:thumbup: :thumbup: Agreed 100%

18. Broder

Broder Mudshark

+1
    We generally get hoodwinked into spending huge sums of money on branded products with dubious benefits.

19. Nippy

Nippy

@sean_koekemoer

Not really. A little bit, locally, but it doesn't make the water cloudy per se. I'm fine with adding food juice. By the time reefers are willing to add "marine snow" and liquid zooplankton substitute and crap like that, I'm fine with adding microparticles of known nutritious food.

Hi Sean please could u give more insight into this, are u guys saying that marine snow and liquid zooplankton for feeding corals is no good.still new to Marine and learning everyday.

thanks

nippy

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. archiecrain

archiecrain

I think making your own food is a great idea! Its the only way to be certain of what you are feeding to your fish.....If I had lots of fish I would do this!

Although I think I would sleep on the couch for a long time if I tried putting that in my freezer!

21. Tremayn

Tremayn

lol its not dirty, its seafood :) .. I must try to make my own food. I never did because I thought it would cloud the water:)

Recent Posts