Maintenance tips

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, guys and girls - maintenance, we all need to do this, so i'll start with a couple, but this needs to be a joint effort for us all to enjoy.

Tip 1, a weekly job, take your air intake from the skimmer and put the end it a jug of R/O water, the intake will suck in some water and clean out any salt etc deposits likely to clog the intake and reduce the effectiveness of the skimmer.

Tip 2, Monthly, remove all powerheads, pumps, skimer pumps and check the impellor for scratches/freedom ove movement inside the motor housing, takes a few minutes, easy to do, could saves loads of money as coraline/sand etc can abrade the inside of the impellor housing.

I just started my tank after quite a long time and now find the pumps that was good ones before now needs some serious coaxing before they will start to work. The lesson seems to be: Keep them going for as long as possible or clean them very well before putting them to rest.

Tip 3,(Recomended 10% weekly water change) When mixing up your salt mix for water changes always use RO/DI (Reverse osmosus/De-ionised) add the salt to the water and not the water to the salt..Let the mix mature for at least 24 hours before the water change....(12hour should be okay in emergancy's)But is better to always have salt mix available..Make sure that temp and PH are the same as the tank.

Last edited:
Tip 4, use hose clamps where tubing is involved outside of water, and cable ties underwater for all tube to fitting joints :) saves a lot of water and frustration

In the spirit of this, Perhaps a list of marine safe cleaning goods ..... White vinigar for starters ....

In the spirit of this, Perhaps a list of marine safe cleaning goods ..... White vinigar for starters ....

good one, also anything marked as "foodsafe" can and will be stolen from the kitchen.;)

tip 5, when shipping corals, tie the base to polystyrene so they float upside down, causes less damage while being transported.

Tip 6. when in doubt use MASA, mike is online late, i know :)

Slightly off topic, but keep the plastic bags and rubber bands you buy your livestock and corals in. You never know when you might need them again.

Still valid - not off topic:)

tip 5, when shipping corals, tie the base to polystyrene so they float upside down, causes less damage while being transported.

Tip 6. when in doubt use MASA, mike is online late, i know :)

So i have no life....:lol:

Tip 7 - Regularly check your siphon break. If that blocks up and the the return pump switches off, expect your sump to overflow and water all over the floor

TIP 8 - Regularly check your electronic meters' probes, as coralline, algae or tubeworms will mess with the readings.

TIP 9 - Calibrate TDS and Refractometer once every 3 months. If one of them is out, all hell breaks loose in the tank

Tip 10, Check all circulation pumps and return pump weekly and then clean them out atleast once a month

Tip 12: keep a log book, makes things easier to remember like when to change lights, problems, water params etc

Back
Top Bottom