Maintenance on a PICO

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by NADEEM, 18 Aug 2014.

1. NADEEM

NADEEM

Hi All, I have not posted on MASA for a while as I have not had a marine tank for a while but always been reading and learning.

So I want to start a Pico, 30cm cube by 15cm high. about 2 kg of live rock, so should be about 10 litres of water.

I will use a HOB filter. have not decided on lighting, maybe I could get some cheap idea for this?

and then stocking - I don't want any fish or shrimp in this little tank, I just want zoas and rics. that's it.

now, what I mainly need to know, is maintenance, I see a few guys on here have had some fantastic picos running for long periods of time. how does one maintain such a small tank probably? how often do you do a water change and how much?
    what's the best media for the HOB? would love to hear from guys who have successfully kept picos, tell me what your maintenance schedule was like.

Thanks Guys:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

howdy, glad you got a tank back

well i run a dymax 10L i think, i change 1L every week, i run purigen 100ml in the bag and thats it
    cuc are micro brittlestars from main tank, 1 snail, 1 tiny hermit and all the asterina starfish from main tank.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2014
  4. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

hey Dallasg, good to be back in this hobby, I've missed having a tank.

1L a week, amazing, I always thought one would have to do a 10% or 20% wc every 2 days or so.

this is good news. my other issue is also hardware, heater for instance, where to put that, the tank is already so small, you have your heater in the tank? and then powerhead, where can I get a powerhead small enough for this tank? or would the flow from the HOB be enough?

5. dallasg

the flow should be enough, but first test and see...
    you will have no fish so the corals will act as filters and keep water etc in check.

1L should be enough as Ca, Mg and Alk should swing that much...

the hardest part for me is evaporation and salinity climbing

6. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

Aha I see, did think of that actually, evaporation on tank this small would be an issue yeah.

my other option was to drill a hole in the wall and have a sump for the tank in the other room, but then I though, that's a bit dizzy, to have a 12 litre tank with a 50litre or 100litre sump.lol. but this may be a decent idea, would help for many things.

has anyone ever done this? a pico with a large sump? I think this may be the way to go. you see this pico is not a setup and breakdown after a few months kind of thing. I would like to keep it running for a lekker long time.

7. dallasg

its an idea, but over kill, @archiecrain had an awesome setup i saw on his kitchen counter a while back, all in one design

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. archiecrain

archiecrain

Maintenance on a small tank like this is peice of cake....if you can Keep salinity and temps stable.

For lighting I would go LED, less heating issues etc.

Water changes depend on stocking, but again as long as the params are stble then you wont have issues.

I enjoyed my old pico it offered unique challenges and forced me to be restrained with stocking. But remember that because of the lower water volumes that keeping stability is not easy.

Recent Posts