Magnesuim Chloride

mandrin

Cardinal
Reaction score
Hi guys any 1 using magnesium Chloride to raise their magnesium levels in reef aquariam. .
Just wanting to know if there any down side to this method
I am currently using aqua vitro to raise magnesium levels in my reef .
any thoughts will be highly appreciated
thanks guys

459b

Reaction score
Commercial products contain magnesium chloride so no harm in using it. I've been using food grade magnesium chloride for years.

mandrin

Cardinal
Reaction score
Hi @ 459b so does not effect the coral n fish
so my thinking add 1 teaspoon for every 100 litre of yr reef tank seize in 2 litres of RO water letting it dissolve and add to sump
you think it's a better method to raise magnesium levels

459b

Reaction score
One teaspoon per 100 liters is nothing, I'm adding around four teaspoons twice a week to 400ltr tank just to keep levels in order.

mandrin

Cardinal
Reaction score
wow @ 459b my system is 450 litres so I shod do same as u

mariusmeyer

Regal Tang
Reaction score
Use the online calculators to determine how much to dose. You cannot dose what another person with the same tank dose because each tank is different.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
Use the online calculators to determine how much to dose. You cannot dose what another person with the same tank dose because each tank is different.
i agree here, while water capacity will be the same your demand may differ from davids, due to stocking differences, i know david loves his sticks lol

Devil Dog

Shrimp
Reaction score
I do agree with leslie as well it's just I have used calculators etc in the past but what usually worked best was finding someone with similiar conditions, using their methods and then just testing and adjusting according.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
i think most calculators take bare water capacity into account if im not mistaken we then need to assess what demand our species kept put on the system and then adjust mostly up to acomodate,

softies i think are pretty straight forward but lps and sps can grow very fast and suck a system dry of elements quickly