Magnesium

I will hopefully be able to write a little article about magnesium in the next day or two - watch the MASApedia...

Short take - it helps to keep calcium levels high by preventing precipitation. It can also inhibit certain algae growth at levels much higher than NSW, and (indirectly, I believe...) is beneficial to coralline algae and hard coral growth.

Test kits are available from the better LFS's and some sponsors.

Hennie

I believe an elevated magnesium level in the region of about 1500 - 1600 for a period of 3 or 4 months will also aid in the removal of Bryopsis algae.

I believe an elevated magnesium level in the region of about 1500 - 1600 for a period of 3 or 4 months will also aid in the removal of Bryopsis algae.
yip espescially using epsom salts

Roughly....1kg of Epsom salts in 1000 litres of water will raise your magnesium level by 100ppm.

Very cheap at Pick 'n Pay or wherever. :)

Thanks Mikaeel ive just learned something new- who would of thought epsom salts from pick & Pay

Insignificant amount Mg added

i dose 1 teaspoon every 3days to keep my mg levels stable at 1350.mix it with RO and dose

If you have
100L, your dosing gives 10ppm Mg in 1 dose of about 3 tsp(10g approx)
500L, your dose is just 2ppm.

i think you have near 600L, so you dose JUST 1,67ppm Magnesium.

I think you have a HIGH magnesium to start off with, most likelly from NSW at nearly 1150-1180 in KZN, salt at times, OTHER additives, any aragonite dissolution, etc.

For us???

what would be a good mg test kit
:)

Tropic Marin do a Ca/Mg combination.

Salifert have Magnesium test.

Seachem offer ReefStatus Magnesium, Borate, Total Alkalinity combination.

I have used ALL, many times.

Others that have too, agree with me, Seachem is better, more distinct, easier stored, and used.

It also has a supplied reference for verification, and known reagent freshness.

These are, simply put, my experienced, repeated opinions.

Opinions vary, facts don't ( or SHOULDN'T):p

So I can use Epsom Salys for Mg. Any suggestions on dosing ?

Nope. If you only dose pure Epson salts then you are not adding Sulphate in the right proportions. There is an article written on the ratio between Chloride and Sulphate based mg supplements to maintain a proper level. I however believe the best way to maintain Mg is by water changes, since Mg changes very slowly.

PS: That "nope" was meant as - not purely epson salts on its own as long term supplement.

Yes relative to calcium and alk, it does drop slower, of course, but lets not even talk about those two in my system......... I would have to find a skirt, fishnets, high heels and a street corner to afford two part for my system.

If you have
100L, your dosing gives 10ppm Mg in 1 dose of about 3 tsp(10g approx)
500L, your dose is just 2ppm.

i think you have near 600L, so you dose JUST 1,67ppm Magnesium.

I think you have a HIGH magnesium to start off with, most likelly from NSW at nearly 1150-1180 in KZN, salt at times, OTHER additives, any aragonite dissolution, etc.
you think maybe the testkit is faulty?will have it tested at a LFS to confirm

......... I would have to find a skirt, fishnets, high heels and a street corner to afford two part for my system.

Ivan, NOOOOOO!!!

Are you quitting your day job, and taking on an a EXTRA SHIFT ?

You know everyone thinks you have potential .....:razz:

Can't you keep up with the handbag wars?

Back
Top Bottom