Magnesium Level Off the Chart Low or High ????

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by MerlinT, 13 Nov 2012.

1. MerlinT

MerlinT

Hey Guys
    I started raising my Magnesium Levels a month ago with Epsom Salts and followed the Reef Chemistry Calculator accordingly taking into account not to raise more than 50ppm per day. At one stage it was 1250 but wanted to achieve at least 1350ppm. I then added more thew next day and the following day did a test again. The thing now is that I cannot get a reading with the my Salifert Test kit. Is this because it is now too high as being higher than 1500ppm which the test kit goes up till? I do not know!!!. The kit I used prior to 1250ppm got finished so I bought a new test kit of the same kind and used it. This is when I could not detect a Magnesium reading. I did however take the new test kit to Perky's who tested it on one of their tanks and it worked perfectly. It is now three weeks later and I am still not picking up a reading. Having said that, there are no ill effects on my tank that Ican see but one thing for sure is that my Purple Tip Acropora tips are are actually for the first time purple and this is what I wanted to achieve. Personally I do think that magnesium level is infact over 1500ppm but would like to put this theory to rest. So to do this, can anyone shed some light into this as it really does have me baffled.

Is there anyone in the Ottery area with a different type test kit that will be so kind as to test my magnesium level using their kit? I will really appreciate it.

Thanks
    M

Last edited: 13 Nov 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi @MerlinT, i use exactly the same salifert test kits & i love them!
    Im currently running my magnesium at 1600ppm to combat some bryopsis algae that i previously had.
    The way i test it is to empty the 1ml syringe (Mg c solution) into the test vail (which indicates 1500ppm Mg) then suck up another 1ml into the syringe & start dripping it until i get a color change!
    Then just take the second amount & add up to the 1500ppm & there you have it.
    Magnesium can sometimes be a strange thing to dose as it doesnt show immediately on a test kit (the amount you added) & takes a couple of hours/days to fully dissolve into the water.
    So its always best to dose Mg, then wait a day, test & dose again.
    Dont worry, high magnesium isnt in any way bad for any livestock as long as you dont go over 1600ppm.
    Ive had my magnesium up to 1950ppm & only lost one hermit & one turbo snail!
    Just stop dosing & do some water changes until you get it down to 1350ppm...
    Hope you come right!!!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Check your Ca, Mg and Ca are almost like twins, if one is out the other maybe too.

5. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

If you think your mag may be too high, dilute a sample with RO (maybe 50/50) and retest. Teh just double your result (if diluting 50:50)

6. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

@ Visser I will definately try that.
    @ carlosdeandrade My CA is spot on at 450ppm
    @ Albert Terego Will try this method as well and see.

Thanks guys for you replies. Will keep you updated as to what each test method is.

M

Recent Posts