magnesium influences skimming!?

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by mandarinman, 27 Jun 2010.

1. mandarinman

mandarinman

i have a ts 3 skimmer that is modded with bubble plate and circulation nozzle(monster skimmer now). i noticed my calcium was low even though dosing. found out magnesium low so decided to use epsom salts as magnesium supplement. i mixed five mls of epsom salts in 1.5 litres of ro and drip fed it into tank over a couple of hours. it seems the surface tension on bubbles is increased and skimmate is increased. the deduction is that if magnesium is low, one of the consequences other than inability to keep calcium levels up and excessive precipitation on heaters, is low skimmer performance? opinions and experiences ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

5mls of epsom salts is nothing and will be futile in trying to raise the magnesium levels unless you have a pico or very small nano. It takes around 500gr of epsom salts to increase my magnesium levels by 85ppm in 600L. You need a crap load of epsom salts compared to normal magnesium powder supplements.

4. mandarinman

mandarinman Thread Starter

i hear what you are saying re magnesium supplements, ill get some good stuff early next week. i am more interested in the skimmers reaction to this small dose of epsom salts. the question is, does epsom salts increase surface tension on bubbles resulting in better skimmate.? assisting in ulns?

5. Trev

Trev

Very interesting observation Glen I am really interested in hearing the oppinions with regards to this

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

After adding 500gr of epsom salts into my system I could not pick up any difference in the skimmer. So in my experience I dont think it makes a difference.

7. Megalodon

Megalodon

I've personally observed a marked increase in skimming with the introduction of some empson salts- for an hour or two at least.

Recent Posts