Magnesium Chloride + epsom salt Mg mix

JB

Reeferboy
Reaction score
Hi ppl

I am just wondering, is anyone using this mixture to maintain Mg levels?
If there is, are there any issues with using this cheaper method?

I bought some Natures choice Magnesium chloride from dischem and i have BP grade epsom salts at home.
Ive worked out the recipe as its 10:1.
got 450g of Mg chloride to be added with 41g of epsom salts.
If i make a solution with RO.. how long can the solution stand for in a container.

cheers

JB

Hi JB - I use Epsom Salts for magnesium (Epsom salts = magnesium sulfate). I have not used magnesium chloride before. I must try this as well..... I dose once a week - over the weekend. I just "chuck" the stuff into my sump (into the area that I use for my chemical filtration).... I have been flamed for this before, but it works for me!

I just "chuck" the stuff into my sump (into the area that I use for my chemical filtration)....
Likewise, works well for me.No ill effects.

oh ok, so the increase in sulphate has not caused any abnormalities to coral or fish over time?

oh yea, my bad, forgot about the water changes :p

Hi ppl

I am just wondering, is anyone using this mixture to maintain Mg levels?
If there is, are there any issues with using this cheaper method?

I bought some Natures choice Magnesium chloride from dischem and i have BP grade epsom salts at home.
Ive worked out the recipe as its 10:1.
got 450g of Mg chloride to be added with 41g of epsom salts.
If i make a solution with RO.. how long can the solution stand for in a container.

cheers

JB

Definetely a better way to go than simply adding MgSO4 on its own, as far as stability goes, at least a year.

Hi Guys,

Also looking at going the cheaper version! So if you take 450gr mag chlor and 45gr mag sulph and then mix that in 1 litre RO Water? 2lt RO water? 3ltr RO Water and let it disolve and then dose how much once a week? or does one just monitor the levels and do it by trial and error? I was at the LFS over the weekend and was having a look at the ingredience to a R150 bottle of 300ml Magnesium "Booster" and it is just mag chlor, magh sulph and dioinised water!

Ant thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated!

interesting, i am a religeous magnesium user so would love a cheaper on hand alternative..

Would Magnesium chloride work on its own ?

Magnesium chloride can be used with no problems if water changes are done regularly

Magnesium chloride can be used with no problems if water changes are done regularly

Hi Tony,

So if Mag Chlor is fine and Mag sulp is fine is there any reason why a combination of the 2 cant be used? if so...what would the ratio be in mixing it? 1:1 or 10:1 (as eluded to above in the 1st post!) I am just wondering if there is any reason why one cant mix the 2 in RO water to a specific dilution and then add the solution to our aquariums? Would RO be fine...I amsure that the dudes selling this Mag Booster at the LFS are making a killing on probably a very simple process! We are probably not gonna be given the trade secrets of how its actually made!:razz:

Also please let me know why regular water changes become more inprtant if one is dosing Mag Chlor?!?!!?:slayer:

I don't know if the two can be mixed together but one is fine as a magnesium additive. Like the guys said earlier, just add the epsom to your sump in granule form and don't stress.

Why one has to do regular water changes is that although chloride is the most abundant substance in seawater adding a substance like magnesium chloride will cause the magnesium to be used up and the chloride ion to remain which can cause a build up over a long period of time casusing a chloride imbalance, however, if you perform water changes of about 10 percent per month I wouldn't worry about this factor. I'm no chemist but I'm sure someone can give a more scientific explanation

Thanks for this Tony! I will just keep to dosing a little Epson salts and wont worry to much about being to scientific here. Will try and do some research of my own and post any finding here to help out!

Congrats on TOTM!!! :thumbup:Awsome tank dude:biggrin:!!!

Anyone else have any thoughts on this matter?

Thanks for this Tony! I will just keep to dosing a little Epson salts and wont worry to much about being to scientific here. Will try and do some research of my own and post any finding here to help out!

Congrats on TOTM!!! :thumbup:Awsome tank dude:biggrin:!!!

Anyone else have any thoughts on this matter?

No problem. Thanks for the nice comments on the TOTM

Hi Guys,

After reading up on this matter I have come to the realisation that Epson salts (mag sulp) will eventually cause a buildup of Sulphates in the aquarium. The only way to reduce this, is to do 30% water changes at least once a month. Even with doing regular water changes, there will still be elevated (yet stable) sulphate level (ppm). Does this matter though?!?! from what I understand is that very little research has been done on higher sulphates and how it effects the aquarium... the elevated sulphate caused by dosing epson salts just raise the level more than natural sea water. Dosing with Mag Chlor elevates the level of Chlorides in the water...but the % change is so it makes little difference to the already 19,000 ppm chorides in the water column.

A mixture of 10 cups of Mag Chlor and 1 cup of Epson salts mixed in 4 odd ltr RO water makes for a nice combination. They must be mixed seprately 1st and then added together. So I would say mix 3ltr RO with Mag Chlor and 1ltr with the Epson salts, once disolved fully combine the 2 mixtures!

This mixture may increase the calcium chlor, if you are dosing Calcium and Baking soda to maintain Calcium and dKH (ALK) levels. If no dosing of Calcium of Baking soda is done then adding plain Epson salts is FINE!!!provided that 30% monthly water changes are done, and no need to make the mixture above!!

The level of 1285 ppm Magnesium should be attained by regular testing and calculating consumption and then dosing required amount to increase/ maintain these levels of Magnesium!

Hope this helps everyone on this cheaper yet effective method of Maintaining Mag levels in our Aquariums!

It will do the similar thing to the chloride imbalance where lost ions are left to accumulate. The water changes will definately help

Hi Boendoe - when I do indeed "chuck in" some, it's roughly about 50 grams (from the 500 gram Epsom Salt packet/box)..... I do this once every 2 to 3 weeks.... I don't dose magnesium sulphate that often, though.....

Back
Top Bottom