Magmans eco inspiration tank.

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by magman, 19 Feb 2012.

1. magman

magman

Hey all,

I had a lakka break for six months, but the evenings are boring without a reef in the house, I do have a bit of adhd, and a tank helps keeps me pour some of my restlessness into.

My original idea for this tank, is not to buy any livestock from an lfs, all must be either tank bred, fragged, or locally caught, or maybe from another reefer. The tank is a bit small for large angels, which for me are reef keeping, however though I wanted a new build, which is easier to maintain also, so thought let me use what I have available. Also I am in two minds of getting butterflies, and also going planted with local macro's, the thing though is some of the flies can get big after a year or two. I might go and dump the flies in Sims or DudleyD's reefs if they get too big;)

Herewith the tank, which is 1200mm (l) x 600mm (w) x 450mm (h), I was painting a blue background.

[​IMG]

I painted the stand with about 50 coats of hammerite, and then put pine cupboards on it. I had a big problen in the fact that the tank is 1200mm, and the sump is 1220mm, so the extra 20mm gave me a problem in the spacing for the covering.

[​IMG]

Making my diy lighting unit, the lights sit about 60mm from the water, it is open top with euro bracing, but I have a problem with insects flying in at night.

[​IMG]

Here is some of the wood I bought, I had a big problem with the pine being warped, any carpenters that saw how I got it to sit flush, would have a fit, basically anywhere it did not sit flush, I ground it down with an angle grinder, that took a minute, then I would sand it for another minute, only 2 minutes and it's sorted!!!!:blush:

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. magman

magman Thread Starter

I got nsw on wednesday morning, filled it up, and on thursday put the scaping in, plugged in skimmer, pumps, plugged the lights in etc, and it was awesome to switch on a wall plug and have a running tank again.

Excuse the pics, as I had just switched on the tank, and it is a bit murky, after about an hour, the water was clear

[​IMG]

Herewith my scaping

[​IMG]

Part of my scaping is inspiration from what I enjoy, teaching creation, these rocks are inspired from a nebula called the "Pillars of Creation"

[​IMG]

Herewith the real Pillars of Creation, also called the eagle nebula,

[​IMG]

Herewith the Pillars zoomed in, can you see where I get my inspiration from?

[​IMG]

zoomed in even more

[​IMG]

My centre piece will be a cross, but I am still working on it;)

4. crispin

crispin

ABT fella!

5. crispin

crispin

you have no idea how much that explains! :)

welcome back to the hobby (from both me and your wife! :))

6. magman

magman Thread Starter

Wait till you see how many tangs I fit in here bud!!!!!:tt2:

7. crispin

crispin

so long as they are locally cuaght gems which you plan to give away:tt2:

8. Achilles

Achilles

excellent aquascaping very nice! looking forward to seeing it come together!

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I like the scaping, nice comeback - keeping an eye on this :)

10. SteveZi

SteveZi

Cool stuff man, I look forward to seeing some of the local fish you're going to put in there.

11. magman

magman Thread Starter

He who dibs the loudest gets the gem :lol:

I have meed dosing prodibio, and stability, it has only been 3 days, and already there is diatoms starting, but I hope I don't get all the heavy cynao etc, I am already combating it before it comes;)

I don't know how much of a cycle I am going to have, as all the rock etc was dead and dry, so I presume there is not much of a cycle, hardly any at all, but I still need the biological filtartion to build up, so I might go and get a few hermits and put them in, as I need to start building up a bit of a bio load.

I did go for a dive today, but the water was a bit dirty, anything I catch now will go into a qt tank for a few weeks till the tank is ready.

I did buy a test kit, but ended up giving it away after never ever using it:eek:, but I think it will be interesting to watch now, especially if everything was dry, and all the bacteria strains I am adding.

12. crispin

crispin

removed so i dont mess up magmans thread too much

Last edited: 19 Feb 2012
  13. magman

magman Thread Starter

Many thanks for the kind comments guys, I really appreciate it.

14. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Damn, you really had to look that far to get inspired for the scaping?

Does that come as a side effect from adhd?

Looking good, bud.

Another example where one can see clearly, what scaping one can do, when the tank width is wider than the tank height.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2012
  15. magman

magman Thread Starter

Lol, Marcel I have to be nice to you, cause any clowns have to be tank bred!!!!

Do you know of any clown breeders in the cape?:tt2:

16. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Not yet, still working on it. ;)

17. seank

seank

Hey, you came over, talked a lot of crap :p , and left without taking any sand silly..... I am heading back tomorrow, Alida is at home, pop in if you pick the kids up after school and come and collect some, best be soon, as she starts on Tuesday to dismantle the tank ;)

18. magman

magman Thread Starter

No worries bud, I will use live sand from the sea to seed for now, why is Alida dismantling?

You moving everything to the new tank?

19. magman

magman Thread Starter

Just past the two week mark, so thought I would update.........before I run out of stability........;)

Nothing in the tank I have paid for, it is either locally caught, frags, or a few old things from my old tank that mates were keeping:thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check the little painted crays, I got five of them and I really love them, I do have one boxer, but will probably pass him on when he is bigger as they love putting there claws in and ripping one of the little crays out, the only thing I have seen a boxer kill is one of these crays, and they will hunt them all out in one night:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. magman

magman Thread Starter

I am trying to fight off the inevitable, there is the slight pink of what will one day become cynao, the odd bubble aswell, but I think I will just keep at it with the stability, or MB7,

I have also been dosing tons of vodka unitentionally when I inject aipitasia, (I know you shouldn't in young tanks),

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunatly the fts does not show the full 3d of the pinnicles, but hopefully you can get an idea here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. magman

magman Thread Starter

Sump lights have just come on, I have a few local macro algeas that I have in the sump, I have a few species, I just want to see which grow the best, also some zoas on the right that I am waiting to graft onto the rock

[​IMG]

Recent Posts