Magmans 6foot mixed reef thread

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by magman, 11 Dec 2009.

1. magman

magman

I thought I would start a proper thread on my tank now, and keep it updated. I have finished making all the main changes I want, still have a few things left on my wish list. I will start off with all the FTS. The close ups I will do later, unfortunatly not all the softies were open, as I spend more time cutting them than I do looking at them. They should be opended this weekend, and I will take close ups. Also the magnifica has just finished purging, so he was not his massive hulk that he is, even in the FTS.

[​IMG]I

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. magman

magman Thread Starter

4. RUAN

RUAN

very cool man, nice tank, do you have any pics of youre sump?

5. JD167

JD167

Nice! How long have you had that Carpet on the right?

6. magman

magman Thread Starter

7. magman

magman Thread Starter

Ruan, I will do the sump also, I only have two sections, and I am experimenting with lots of differant local macro algea

about 7 months now, I would never recomend them to anyone though, they do eat the odd fish,

8. JD167

JD167

Thats what I thought. Mine had expensive taste. 4 Anthias and 4 Fire Gobies. They are really beautiful, but not fish safe.

9. magman

magman Thread Starter

I have found that once the fish have been in the tank for a while they avoid the area around it. I think you have to adapt to having a carpet, example when you introduce new fish, leave the lights on and do it long before the lights go off, so that the fish can see it, rather let them get chased by other fish for the first day than it swim straight into the carpet. The problem is that the carpets do not have moving tenticles that can warn the fish like other anenomes. I do feed the fish on the opposite side of the tank, the clowns do help also in keeping other fish away.

10. JD167

JD167

Yea looks like in all your pics the fish stay to the left side of your tank. :)

How about some engine room pics?

11. gaboon

gaboon

Looking great man!

12. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

wow your tank is looking awesome Magman:thumbup:

13. mnd123

mnd123

Very nice!!!!

14. Cryp

Cryp

Tnak is stunning, congrats on a job well done.

15. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Your tank is looking awesome...I like the way you laid out your liverocks...Well done mate...

16. seank

seank

Nice Seun. Tank turned out good

17. Cryp

Cryp

Oh my spelling :whistling:

18. Annoying

Annoying

Awesome Tank!!!

19. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW MagMan! Your tank sure looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing! Geez - how I now miss my magnifica! Also miss having a fully stocked tank!

20. magman

magman Thread Starter

Thanks for all the kind works guys, I will slow down with the knife while I get decent pics. Lol, I even bought a pin cushion about two weeks ago, and while acclimitising it was cutting it with the stanley. I behave with a stanly sort of like a drunk cowboy outside a saloon in the wild wild west.

I have been running this tank now for about 9 months, prior to which I had a 4ft tank. Details or the history of the tank.

Livestock.
    I had previuosly got all my livestock from the dodgy LFS dealers, I thoght they were cheaper, but in the end they turn out so expensive with casualtys. From now on, I only order the MAC fish, some may be a bit more expensive, some cheaper (YT for R395), but in the end they work out much cheaper and I have a better concious, as they are all net caught and are only sold when eating prepared foods.
    I really love wrasse, they are my favorite fish, if anyone is the wrasse police it is me. I have ordered a sixline from Sims, and will continue collecting the nice dwarf varieties.
    Tangs, everyone needs them, I still maybe want a purple, and have room for a few of the lovely local ones.
    As for clowns, I have a pair of oscerlaris, and allards. Intresting enough, the oscerlaris are hosting in the magnifica, which they are not supposed to be compatable with (please check for me), but they have got burnt/stung by the mag. They have lost all their colour, I placed one in the sump, and two weeks later he got all his colour back.
    Gobies, I have the purple firefish, they are truelly awasome, really beatiful, also got the usual red fire gobies.
    I also enjoy catching fish, I have the local blue chromis with the yellow tail (@ Meks, did you say it was the blacktail chromis?), goldies, wrasse etc.
    Inverts, I have a pair of cleaner shrimp, they constanly got eggs. I also have lots of hermits, rock pool shrimp (they look like peppermints) that I feed to the fish. I used to keep them in the DT or sump as cuc, but they just end up eating your pods.

Anenomes,
    I have the utmost respect for anenomes, When everyone starts off, they want a blimin nemo and anenome, I bought and have had sucess with them in that they have all survived and done well so far. They have all in effect grown since purchase. About two months ago, I nearly lost my Carpet, I think it was cause I fed a muscle that was realeasing toxins. I have always fed muscles, captured live that morning, but after one particular feeding, he just went really bad. Lost his grip, expunged his whole guts, he was basically dead for a week. Everyone on the forum would of thrown him away as dead, I was setting the alarm for 3 am, checking on him, placing him gently in the rocks again to stop current, I really struggled, but did not give up, and he pulled through. Today he is perfect again, just waiting for a stupid fish. I do not recommend anenomes to anybody, they are stress, I have 3 and they have been a pleasure, but people must understand that they deserve utmost attention. Getting up at 3 am is no joke to check up on one. Between my 3 anenomes, I feed 5 peeled prawns twice a week, carpet 2, mag 2 and the LTA 1/2. I also feed Crayfish, when in season, or chokka. Everytime I dive for fish, I keep a few sergeant major damsels to feed to the anenomes, but in the end do not have the heart and let them go. I remember when I was a kid, my dad taught me that I could only shoot what I could eat. I usually used to shoot doves etc. The one day I could not find anything to shoot, so I shot an eastern red footed kestral, they migrating little falcons, I shot it only cause there was nothing else to shoot, but I was wrenching my guts out, but I did eat it, the same applies to keeping anenomes, you buy it you look after it. If it dies in your tank, even after a day, you killed it, not the LFS, you should not of bought it sick. That's just how I feel about anenomes.

I will keep updating.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Dec 2009
  21. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Looking lekker dude! How about some close up's ;)

Recent Posts