Magman's 4foot (old sump) butterfly tank

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by magman, 10 Oct 2010.

1. magman

magman

I cleaned up my old sump, cut the panels out, drilled it, plumbed it, and flippen cracked it, so I cut some more glass, siliconed it on, and it is fine for a fly tank, I will make one or two pinnicles where I can hide the crack, I only had 3mm spare glass, so I sealed it outside and inside. I put my old sump lights on, old skimmer, and a pump. Siphoned some reggies out the main DT and got another tank up and running. When it starts looking a bit better I will move it inside the house, but the meantime it is sitting in the garage and the wife does not know I got another tank running:whistling:

I got a few pice's of LR from the main tanks sump, I will get some more LR put that in the sump and then add more to this tank. I got that truncatus in here, a twin spot wrasse and the formosa, which I had in my main display. The truncatus (I think that's what it is, is going to a mate in the next few days, and then hopefully I can start collecting flies for this tank.

This is a slap dash setup today, but I will start making a nice lid for the tank, cover etc so when the wife calms down from finding out about this tank, and it looks a bit better, it can go in the house:slayer:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. magman

magman Thread Starter

FTS, lighting is 2x 36 T8, one blue and one white, on monday I will get a ballast and then put in two 54w T5's. Check the crack at the back. I tried to get the overflow pipe out and it cracked

[​IMG]

Check my temp lighting unit, bricks on the bracing!!! I will make a lakka lid and light unit for it tommorrow, also if I get fish that may be jumpers

[​IMG]

Some LR that I threw in from the sump, will add more over the next few days, and the favities that my emp klapped when I first got it, and it has taken ages to recover

[​IMG]

the trunctus, I also got a twin spot and formosa, but they kipping

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sump, just an old via aqua skimmer that I did the fishing line mod on the impellor, the plastic bag is to stop splashing,

[​IMG]

the return end, tommorrow I will dig to see if I got a pice of glass big enough to make the return chamber. This is a 3000lph return pump

[​IMG]

I am actually looking forward to building this tank, so far the only thing I have bought for it is the stand, I need a ballast, I think I am going to make this tank a free tank and only livestock I catch and get for free can go in here. Everything else was used previously and lying around from my DT.......who said reefkeeping is expensive!!!!!

4. Slummies

Slummies

nice one you bugger. up there you get some nice fish!! that surgeon.. did you catch it? flippen nice

5. magman

magman Thread Starter

got him nearly a year ago, here is a pic closer to when I caught him,

[​IMG]

6. Slummies

Slummies

yes i remember you catching him.. if you ever catch another...;)

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

So where's the fish?

Buy some blue or black ABS sheeting to put inside the tank to cover up that crack. Mek's will help you, he knows lots about crack's.

8. magman

magman Thread Starter

lol, the smoking kind, or the balloon knot kind of crack;)

The little squirt is in the bay at the moment, and under his flat is some nice aurigas/threadfins, but also I just want to get another queen angel in 3 weeks or so, and just house him in there for a month before I start putting flies in there. Also I want to catch a pair of idols, put them in there cause I reckon I have a plan to get them feeding as a pair.

9. seank

seank

Mags, forgot to tell you. The place I dived the day before yesterday, has some awesome Idols. If the weather gives us a small chance, we need to meet up there. Danie is getting his suit tomorrow morning, so it would be nice to help him try it out maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Btw..... Bump on this here thread

10. magman

magman Thread Starter

water was a bit dirty today, more murky from the SW, but am sure in 2/3 days will be awesome.

The fly tank I am using to QT all my fish, will be like that for another 8 weeks, then I will get the idols, there are millions though at the moment. I will actually be getting two more 2.3 metre tanks this weekend, maybe chuck them in there till they chow;)

Recent Posts