Mad_Max NANO

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Mad_Max, 26 Feb 2008.

1. Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Hi,
    Thanks to everybody using this forum for sharring the good and bad.

I bought my son on 5 Jan 2008 (well that was my explanation to the boss) a BOYU TL450 nano 58l It looks to be a nice little setup seeing what has been posted so far. I have about 15 years of fresh water experience, not that this seems to be of any use when looking at salt water tanks (especially the filters).

The tank after doing some aquascaping.
    [​IMG]

Cycling took 5 weeks. The wait was long.
    [​IMG]

Added a turbo and hermit crab. Water parameters were:
    Ph = 8.2 NO2 = 0, NO3 = 20, KH = 10, NH3 = 0.5, NH4 = 0.003, Temp = 26, Salinity = 1.0240, Light = 5-6 hours a day.

A week later added 2 clowns
    (Ph = 8.2 NO2 = 0, NO3 = 0, KH = 10, NH3 = < 0.5, NH4 = <0.003, Temp = 26, Salinity = 1.0240, Light = 10 hours a day.

A week later added some polyps (@R120), leather mushroom (@ R170) and tube worm (@R60). I think I got a bargan.

The tank is starting to take shape. Polyps starting to open once light is switched on. The clowns keep on bumping in to the leather mushroom witch causes it to close a bit. Is that normal?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hello Mad Max - many thanks for sharing your story with us - we really appreciate it. Regarding the clowns bumping into the leather coral:
    The story is, that clowns like to "host" (live in) "something". Preferably an anemone. BUT, if there is no anemone present, they might end up "hosting" in the funniest of "things". These "things" most likely end up being corals (either LPS or soft-corals). I have even heard of clown-fish that host on the "power-head pump"....

So, what is most likely happening, is that your clown-fish are trying to start to "host" with your leather-coral. The coral is not liking this very much (in the beginning - but later on it might get used to the bumping and rubbing of the clown-fish - and then stay open), and as such closing up at this stage. This might or might not change.... Best to keep being patient and wait it out. See what happens.....

You tank is looking brilliant for a new tank. AND I LOVE the steps you have taken. Clearly you have done your research and have gone into this knowledgeable.

4. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments. I have been doing a fair bit of reading on the net. Lot and lots of info, some good, some bad in my opinion.

5. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hey Mad Max welcome to MASA, gr8b to have you on board.
    Once you get to grips with the marine system you will be surprised at how similar they are especially the bio filtration side.

6. moz

moz

Welcome MadMax, your tank is looking good.

7. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

masahello Mad Max, it's looking good and your patience will surely pay off:thumbup:

8. jacquesb

Hi Mad Max -

I agree with you 100% - I have taken up the methodology of trying out thinigs myself, and making up my own mind on what works and what doesn't. I do take in account other people's suggestions. BUT, still make up my own mind. I make an informed decision.....

9. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA MadMax, looks like you have made a great start, keep the pictures coming, and fire away with the questions, there is a wealth of experience here.

10. DragonReef

DragonReef

Welcome Max, stunning looking tank :thumbup:

Well done on the job so far.

11. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

welcome and lovely start i think you got the start most of us wished for and
    is a bargan but the res is average your tank has so much to gane and please dont get any more fish yet focus on corals

12. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Looks like you're off to a good start there Mad Max. Welcome to MASA. I had some VERY similar looking zoos ("polyps") in my first tank. They were then moved to another tank where my clowns hosted in them.

Is the black/green bit an inlet sucking down from the surface or an outlet blowing muck out of the way for the light?

13. Warr7207

Warr7207

Welcome Mad Max. Nice tank and a good looking start.

Be careful of the Zoa's when handling, they secrete a highly poison substance that can really hurt if it gets in your blood or mucous membranes.

14. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Thread Starter

The Green bit is an inlet. It skims the surface very effectively. As seen in the picture there is some muck on the surface. This happens every time I have to feed the fish. I turn off the pump in chamber four; otherwise I only feed the filter. The food gets sucked in to the filter. The problem is the pump in chamber 1 causes a reverse in flow direction in chamber 4, thus ejects some of the muck on the live rock in chamber four. The only other solution is the stop all the pumps.

Is the above process a problem, or could I keep it as it is?

The Zoa’s did not open at all yesterday (they were added 5 day ago to the system). They look not to good. I did notice one of the clowns biting at some of the polyps. I also removed about 30 Nudi's from them in the last 2 days. Might that have caused them to close up? I noticed some that when a Nudi's made contact with a polyp it closed up immediately and stayed closed. What about the lighting, could that also cause it to close?

In contrast the leather mushroom did not open fully once added to the system, but now 5 days later it is looking as good as when I bought it. One of the clowns is very protective of it, it tries to keep the other one away.

15. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Max, it is the nudis that are causing the problems, tackle them now, don't wait, they wont go away, they will lay eggs and get worse, a fresh water dip is the way forward.
    Be warned, as Warr said, zoas contain a palytoxin, the nudis will absorb this and if you squash them you may be affected, wear gloves, there is a thread on here somewhere, one of our members was taken ill by touching zoas with ungloved hands.

16. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum Mad_Max, nice looking tank you got there.

17. jacquesb

Hi Max - just another question - I see in one of the last pics that you had some cyano issues - is this still a problem, or not?

There's no problems with your way of switching the pumps off when feeding. BUT, I would like to know how much flow you have in your tank. You might just need to add another power-head to increase flow a little bit - also to generate some more random turbulent flow (for carbon-dioxide/oxygen exchange, and to remove the cyano bacteria, as well as to clean off the slimy excretion from the leather coral...).

18. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome MadMax!awsome looking tank!

19. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. So I should read up a fresh water dip and just go for if? Or should I wait a few days and see it they start to open again? Yesterday I could only find one Nudis to remove. Some of the polyps are stating to open again (only 10% of the total).

The cyano has flared up after adding the corals (never had any during cycling of the tank). It does seem to have stabilized (watching it like a hawk). I am planning to remove some of the live rock in the filter chambers to improve flow even more. There is definitely a pattern where the cyano grows, always behind a rock, coral where there is a “dead spot”/disturbance in flow.

Will keep you posted.

20. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

You will need to read up on how to do a fresh water dip, there is a good chance of eggs laid on the zoas.

Recent Posts