MAD skimmer idea

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Neil H, 1 Feb 2011.

1. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

So i was a bit bored the other day and started thinking about a skimmer

how about this as an idea... using a SeioM1500 or M2600 would pump something in the region of 10 000Lph, they have venturi (SP) fittings .... and they run off next to nothing in terms of power......

so here is an idea for a seio skimmer.... it would be fed directly from the overflow OR would require a feeder pump

Who has an opinion on whether this would lork or not?

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I would relook into that thread last week from Bob the reefbuilder in terms of the flow power between stream pumps and uplift pumps.

problem with this is the proof can only be seen, after the project is complete. :(

4. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

i am not looking for power as much as i am looking for fine bubbles, i read that thread in detail and while i think Bob has some extremely valid points, i remain scheptical that a watts measurment is correct, problem is when one intrioduces an efficinecy factor and try to compare different types of pumps there are too many parameters and variables for an effective comparison ..... that said one simply needs to look at Glynns tank with (iirc) 17x turnover to know that the turnover rule is pretty much invalid

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Dont see why it wouldnt work.
    Only thing is how strong is the venturi? Would it be able to suck enough air if placed at the bottom of the skimmer or would it need to be mounted on the side like on recirc skimmers.

6. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

I think if you add a balsa or similar type of air stone it would increase your micro bubbles and capture more protein... in my opinion the quantity of surface contact of bubbles to water is the determining factor for protein removal. Giving it a longer reaction time by making a smally hydrocyclone would surely not hurt.

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

very valid and i agree 100%

there is a trend to go back to wood airstones, as the bubbles produced are the smallest

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

seios have printing on the box that lays claims to being used as a skimmer pump, but im sceptical of their output as their outflow is wide and im not sure this would translate to a good airdraw volume..

worth a try but im guessing you would have the same effieciency of a macro aqua or boyu skimmers.. but prove me wrong. speculation is nothing compared to actually trying it and seeing the results..

9. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

my 2c

the questtion u gota ask is why have none of the big skimmer manufacturers have put a flow pump on a skimmer as yet?

the seio idea was tried before by someone on sark. did not work so leka for him but then he did try it on a jebo skimmer body.

the flow pump cannot chop the bubbles up really fine but it will make a ton of bubbles as i remember seeing some1 have a venturi connected to one in a fw tank and it made lotsa bubbles.

u will only know after u try it go for it and lets see what happens

10. mandarinman

mandarinman

one of the more important factors is to have as much bubbles as possible without high water agitation at the surface.

11. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

In theory I reckon it would work, might need a bit of tweaking here and there, but I would recommend testing the pump out first, Tom tried this with one of the smaller SEIO's and the pump really didn't like sucking air 24/7, he drilled a hole in the side of the skimmer and stuck the SEIO in there with an attached airline, I can't remember what exactly the problem was, but he gave up in the end as the pump was terrible.

12. KeeganP

KeeganP

Im sooo itching to post my DIY skimmer here, But its really a silly one, Dont wana highjack this thread :D

13. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

post it man !!

14. KeeganP

KeeganP

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Feb 2011
Recent Posts