Mad max boyu tl550 (upgrades)

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Mad_Max, 5 Jul 2010.

1. Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Upgraded from a TL450 to a TL550.

So, bought a few weeks ago Manic's tank which already had a extra 24W PL in the hood, as well as 2 PC fans mounted in the hood (check out his thread My Boyu TL-550 (With Mods) - Marine Aquariums of South Africa) plus a DB board with timers.

The first things done was respray the hood. There was some paint chipping off, so spray painted it mat black. I have to say it looks a lot better than the standard brown/gray.
    [​IMG]

So next on the list was adding a extra 18W PL in the hood. I moved the PC fans that were mounted in the opening slot for feeding outward to the corners. It was a tight it, but it worked. DIY the globe in the opening and works great.

Worried about the heat buildup, even with fans running I decided to move the magnetic ballasts to a external box. Simple job, open hood, unscrew the ballasts and build in to a PC power supply box that I has lying around (nice thing the box has lots of vents, so does not over heat at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next thing was cleaning the inside of the hood.

Next build a DIY phosphate reactor. Used 50mm PVC pipe. Mounted end caps with 12mm elbows segmented in. Used X 2 5l water caps drilled with lots of holes plus thin layer of sponge to ensure the media stays inside. Added a 800l pump to provide flow and works like a dream. You can just hear the media hitting the sides of the chamber, so i assume this is how it should work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No for my DIY skimmer. I had a WG 308 and WG 310 running duting the initial move. First played around with building a bigger wersion of the WG 310, but eventualy gave up, as the smaller pumps hava a limit how deep one can mount them inside the chambers and still pull in ait through the ventury. A big issue is if one finds a pump that will ditve the ventury, the foow is too much, and the skiller has to be raised obove the water level. I was not going to cut a hole int the hood for that. Eventualy decided to go the hang on route.

This is what is managed to build.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The chamber volume is 4 liter, collection cup is +-220ml. The pump is a Reeftek OTP-1000 Pump with a pin wheel. I ran the skimmer in (1 week testing) on my small tank that was sitting in the corner. WOW, there was a lot of crap in the water.

Last thing to do was mount it on the tank. I built a stand that I bolted on the the stand, 5kg of skimmer hanging on the the tank only by 20mm pipes was not going to last.

1st week of skimming looked as follow.
    [​IMG]

I have noticed that the skimmer produces good foam for 2 days after a water change (do my weekly mineral dosing), then it lessens a lot. It produces a lot of bubbles, but foam disappears. Only conclusion is my bio load is small (3 fish and a few corals). Anyhow I am happy with my skimmer.

Here are a few pics of my TL450 before and during the move to the TL550.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see I love my BTA. Believe it or not, that is under 2 X 18 PL. The photo's do it no justice, but the color is great. I am however battling with its clone the last 1.5 years. It keeps on hiding under a rock, so stays bleached. The deal is as long as it takes food every 3rd day, I will keep it.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Thread Starter

Now for some pics of the new tank.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

Nice job. Love the DIY skimmer. Looks really professional. That bubble tip really looks a lot better in real life though.

5. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Thread Starter

Thanks, it loves its new home. The body is going from dark brown to dark green, bubbles are developing a white ring around the equator and the tips are going dark pink. I wish I had a decent camera.

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

7. Sentari

Sentari

Looking awesome! Nice DIY Work there!

8. Dane

Dane

Lovely! What an improvement :) Awesome build and DIYing bud.

9. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Thread Starter

Thanks, my next DIY project will be a auto top up. Still investigating what the best options will be.

10. Michael B

Michael B

Great DIY skills - looks awesome

11. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Mad Max, hope you can help.

I had a power surge over the weekend, that totally @#$@#$ up my TL550.

The internal fans isnt working, and the magnetic ballasts is getting incredibly hot. It actually melted the inner plastic over.

I took everything appart, and wanted to move the magnetic ballasts also outside, but i am no tech bottin at moving electronic stuff.

The lights also are getting very hot, and i also did the same modding as Manic.

please help ...

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

PM me your address and i will pop over tomorrow sometime and give you a hand to get going again. Cheer up bud :thumbup:

13. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

thanks, see you tomorrow !

14. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Hi Nemos Janitor, thanks again for the help ... :) You know the saying, you are da MAN ! :) Will PM you later !

15. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Thread Starter

I take it all sorted by Nemos Janitor.

16. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Morning, the most important issue is sorted, the heat, and the day lights are working.

Still outstanding:

maybe replacing the pc fans (Nemos Janitor) said that i must get 220V pc fans. I bought fans, but the wrong faultage.

secondly, my night lights isnt working, but that can be fixed later :)

Wow, what a weekend of stress !

thanks again Nemos Janitor !

17. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Thread Starter

Was away on holiday last week and got a fright of my life when we got back. The house power tripped at the main. The power was off for at least 24 hours. The temp was sitting at 18deg, all the corollas were stressed, anemones were deflated, fish were hiding.

Got all running and filled a 500ml (4 times) water bottle with boiling water and placed it in the tank to help the heater. It took me 6h to get the temp back to 25deg. I was stressing big time, the anemones were looking terrible.

Next morning everything started looking better, anemones inflated and only the leathers were still sulking.

I think I was very lucky.

Recent Posts