macro tricks for those without a macro lens

Discussion in 'Photography' started by crispin, 2 Jan 2010.

1. crispin

crispin

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Very cool trick.

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

So what does a 50mm lens cost, and you buy any lens or do you have to match to your actual camers's lens ?

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

:bump:

6. Ross

Ross

There is no need to get a lens to match your camera. In fact I would look for a old manual focus 50ish mm lens. These lenses normally have huge apertures and good glass for very little if anything if you talk nicely to a relative that might have old film gear.

The problem you are going to have is getting an adapter ring to mount these things, but that to can be DIYed. Even seen guys do this with old paper towel type rolls and just paint them black to hold everything together.

7. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

A 50mm f1.8 is about R1500-R1800, pretty much one of the cheapest lenses and also very good.

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

Cool, may I ask other than this macro "trick" what would you use this lens for ?

9. seank

seank

To look at your sister taking a bath through the keyhole:whistling:,
    or to burn hole through your buddies bum using the sun

10. Warr7207

Warr7207

OK, and for normal camera users ?? :whistling:

11. Ross

Ross

This depends on what lens you have decided to get. If you are getting an old film camera lens that I was talking about to use as a reverse macro lens, then you will not be able to use it on your Digital SLR for anything. Firstly it will probably not fit and secondly it will probably not be auto focus..... I know some guys like to use manual focus but my eyes are getting to old for that.

If Rory is talking about what I think he is, a proper digital SLR 50mm lens, you can use it for tons of stuff and it will teach you so much about photography. Remember this is a prime lens, so it has not zoom etc, you have to move around to frame the image you want which is something we should all be doing more. Prime lenses are also great from a quality point of view, there are no moving parts and they just seem to give such a nice image. I know that is not a very technical description, but use one and you will see.

50mm prime lenses are great for portrait photography. They normally have a very large aperture and therefore you can use depth of field (DOF) to your advantage to blur out the background and enhance the subject.

I have L series lenses in my kit that cost up to 20k, I also have the cheapest lens Canon makes, the 50mm f/1.8 that I paid 550 bucks for new at the time and I tell you what, as a fun lens with great results, I will not hesitate to drop that lens on the camera.

12. Ross

Ross

That is just the worst image and at this time in the morning. I am not going to be able to get my breakfast down now.... :y13:

13. seank

seank

:lol::lol::lol: Just a joke for the young ones Ross:p

14. Rory

Without having seen the video, you can reverse lenses to get macro shots. A 50mm is particularly suitable for this. Take your 18-55mm off your camera, look through the front and put the back end up against something like a textured piece of paper or wood and you'll see it magnifies it nicely.
    Basically you're just doing this but with your camera instead of your eye. The main problem is "stopping down" the lens. At it's widest aperture the area that's in focus (Depth of Field/ DoF) will be very very narrow. In order to stop down the lens your camera should have a function on it called depth of field preview. You probably would need to map one of the buttons to this in the advanced settings. This function basically "closes" the blades inside the lens, ie. making the aperture smaller, which makes the image a bit darker because less light gets through, but also brings into focus a bigger DoF.
    But now because you are reversing the lens you need to put the lens on the camera normally, select an aperture, press the DoF preview button to stop down the lens, hold it down and remove the lens and the lens should "stick" to the small aperture. Then you can reverse it and take a macro shot.

Obviously this whole process is quite a lot of effort but serious macro work always is. Your next problem is going to be light. You will preferably need lots of it. You will also pretty much be using your camera in manual mode the whole time so it obviously helps to understand iso/aperture/shutter speed etc.

15. Warr7207

Warr7207

16. Rory

f1.8 aka f/1.8 means that the max aperture (how wide the opening through the lens is) is focal length dividided by 1.8. ie. 50/1.8 = 28mm. If you look at the lens or pics of it front on you will notice that it is very "open".

Basically the lower the f number, the wider the hole through the lens. If you look at a lens like 300m f2.8 then the hole is 300/2.8 = 107mm ie. The end of that lens is gonna be huge...

The wider the hole, the more light gets through, so the shutter stays open for a shorter time. On a moving object or when you can't hold the lens straight this means less blur. Hence a low f number lens is generally known as a "fast" lens.

Edit: Yes that is the lens.

Warr7207 likes this.
  17. Warr7207

Warr7207

Thanks Uncle :)

18. Ross

Ross

If u have the money I would really say go for that baby you will love it.

A tip to make sure u get good focus during macro work is to put your camera on burst / action mode. Move yourself and camera backwards and forwards till what u want to shoot looks in focus and then hit the shutter button. Your natural body movement will help u get at least one shot with the focus where u wanted it.

19. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

or use a tripod and take your time with a steady hand on the focus :)

20. Warr7207

Warr7207

Will I be able to get an adaptor for this lens to fit on to my tele-zoom, to do the macro trick, or will I have to DIY it ?

21. Ross

Ross

I have not personally seen one but you should be able to get a reverse lens ring and then get what you need with some step up and step down rings. Will take some sourcing but I am sure you will find what you need.

I think there is a ring specifically for the Canon 18-55mm kit lens out there...

Recent Posts