Macro Algae

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by vincentputter, 11 May 2012.

1. vincentputter

vincentputter I love Nayn cat!

Hi guys! I want to start a little project with Macro algae. I've seen all sorts of marine tanks like FO, FOWLR, Reef only, reef with fish, picos, nanos, micro tanks etc. but no macro algae tanks similar to an ADA Planted tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 May 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

...:p

4. pXius

pXius

Mantis shrimp + Macro Algae tank = Awesome

5. Wes

Wes

if you're thinking of going a planted tank route don't bother, I had a customer that had a infinite budget to do a planted tank, 80% of those plants are BL here in SA...

6. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

He's talking about a marine planted tank with macroalgae. It's doable.

7. Wes

Wes

I realize that, pics are FW tho...

8. Wes

Wes

9. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

interesting. you do get some nice macro algae. Ive got a couple of awesome macros in my tank. I had this "cauliflower" algae but it just disappeared.. check this out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive been tempted to try and take some of our local macro algae from our coast and try keep it alive in my setup but Im a little scared that it might overgrow my tank. But Ive seen awesome algae here.I think its doable but It will take a bit of maintenance to keep it looking neat.

Last edited: 11 May 2012
    vincentputter likes this.
  10. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

vincentputter likes this.
  11. 2balive

2balive

Somedays I do mis my planted bath...

Also go some nice red algae growing in my tank (and a bit the not so nice green ones)

12. vincentputter

vincentputter Thread Starter I love Nayn cat!

I'm also too scared to cultivate "wild" or any macro algae in my tank. I'm gona setup a small 20l/30l tank just for macro algae and see what happens. Please participate in this project people. I would love to see some competition.

13. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Well I'm doing something similar with my 600l butterfly tank. Currently have Halimeda incrassata, Caulerpa sertularioides, Halymenia, Chaetomorpha and Halophila stipulacea seagrass. Growth is quite slow at the moment though because I'm waiting on an LED lighting upgrade.

Looking for other Caulerpa species (not racemosa, it's a pest) and Botryocladia ("red caulerpa", red bubble algae). If you can find other species then I'm happy to trade frags of mine?

14. vincentputter

We have seen many types of macro algae here by the rock pools in Amanzimtoti.

Blue Ochtodes
    Blue Scroll Macroalgae
    Cherry Tree Macroalgae
    Mermaid's Fan
    Red Palm Macroalgae
    Halimeda
    Ulva Sea Lettuce
    Saragassum Macroalgae
    Red Dictoya
    Dictoya Sp.
    C.Racemosa Var.
    Caulerpa racemosa

And many, many more!

15. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Yep, I've tried most local species at one point or another.

- Ulva does well, needs reasonable light and nothing that eats it because it's first on the menu.

-Padina and Sargassum do well but need very strong lighting, halide or LED.

-The local Caulerpa racemosa doesn't seem to do well...I think it's an intertidal morph.

-Local Halimeda does ok but tends to be slow growing and gets outcompeted after a while.

-Another not on your list that does well is Pseudocodium. Looks like Codium but is lighter green and a lot thinner. Quite common at South Coast in deep pools/shallow subtidal in surgy areas.

Most of the local reds/corallines are cooler water or strictly intertidal species and don't survive long. You sometimes see Halymenia locally but it tends to be quite deep (around 7-8 meters+) in sheltered areas.

16. SteveZi

SteveZi

How about Caulerpa filiformis?

17. vincentputter

I love Caulerpa filiformis. It looks nice in a seahorse or pipefish tank.

18. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

C. filiformis does ok. Slow growing by Caulerpa standards. Seems to prefer growing on a sandy substrate with something coarser underneath for it to grip onto.

19. SteveZi

SteveZi

Nice thread Vincent.
    I've grown strap Caulerpa successfully in my sump and have managed to keep codium and sargassum alive for long enough periods, but never had good growth. I've been thinking about having a planted tank for some time know.
    Maybe those in the know can list some basic requirements and then we can talk some more about species with special requirements?
    At least it is something to take us through the winter...
    One thing I have found is that hermit crabs can be e bit desctructive to MA's.

20. vincentputter

Macro algaes are divided among three large groups based on their coloring (green, brown and red)

1. Green Algae (Chlorophyta): They contain chlorophyll and are well represented in the tropics. Some of these algaes are better at dealing with changing or less than ideal water conditions and environments where nutrients are high. Others can be calcified as well. The green algaes are typically better for nutrient removal as they are among the faster growing algae types.
    2. Brown Algae (Phaeophyta): These are predominantly colored brown but may range in color from beige to almost black while some can look almost red. Lighting condition will affect the colors displayed. One of the most common examples is Sargassum and Turbinaria which are often associated with reef flats
    3. Red Algae (Rhodophyta): This is the largest group of macro algae but seem to be the least understood. They contain large quantities of the pigment phycoerythrin, which can often resemble the pigmentation of brown algae (fucoxanthin). Red algaes are extremely important reef-building organisms, which may form reef crests and large calcareous plates. There can also be a wide range of color variation due to the lighting condition
    Preferred Conditions:
    Below you will find some of the most common conditions for a macro tank and systems that use macro algae as refugium. These are general guidelines which might have to be modified for some certain macro algae types. However, do not forget that the vast majority of macro algaes are very hardy and very resilient.

• Salinity: Some macro algaes are very tolerant to salinity swings and others are not. Keeping your salinity stable between 1.024 and 1.026 is the general rule of thumb. Closer to natural sea water is always better.
    • Calcium: 350ppm-450ppm as some macros can consume just as much calcium as most corals. This mostly applies to algaes that have a calcified structer.
    • Magnesium: around 1100ppm-1200ppm.
    • And of course, Ammonia and Nitrites: Zero
    • Nitrates: A perfect set-up would be to have enough Nitrates in your tank for the algae to consume and leave almost no Nitrates in the water for other forms of nasty algae. As that level of perfection is very hard and/or time consuming to obtain, most people settle for a steady amount around 5 to 10ppm which is also is ideal for macro tanks.
    • Phosphates: Higher levels of phosphates are ideal, between 0.5 and 1.0ppm is typically best
    • Flow: This can really depend on the specific type of macro algae. As a general rule of thumb, moderate flow is good.
    • Lighting: Once again this depends on the exact type of macro algae we are talking about as there is variation in requirements. But as a general rule of thumb they need moderate lighting levels (say 2 to 3 watts per gallon of 6500K to 8000K lighting) very similar to FW plants that also require moderate lighting levels. I have only stated some general guidelines as lighting should really be discussed as its own topic.
    • pH: 7.9-8.2
    • Temperature: mid to upper 20′s is ideal. Most can handle some temp swings as well.

21. Achilles

Achilles

i assume you want to achieve this , the dutch did alot of these in the 80s

[​IMG]

Recent Posts