MAC supplied Livestock is there a difference

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Trev, 13 Jul 2010.

1. Trev

Trev

You better dam believe it, there is a massive difference in MAC supplied livestock.
    This evening I bought 4 purple tangs from a MAC approved retailer and the results are simply mind blowing. I arrived home and started dripping the fish at a slow drip rate for 45min followed by a rapid drip rate for 15min and the a rest period of 30 min in the new water so a total acclimatizing period of 90min. Following this I introduced the fish to their quaranteen tanks and the first thing I noticed was that there was no color fade at all. The second thing was that nether fish went and parked in a corner or hid away anywhere instead they immediately started swimming up and down as if they had been in these tanks for months and the confidence of the fish is amazing they swim with real confidence. Now here is the mind sizzling thing that really made the worlds difference and prompted me to write this as this set MAC live stock a mile apart from any other live stock I have ever dealt with.

While dripping these new tangs I fed the fish in the main display some Ocean Nutrition spirulina flakes and as usual some of it went down the overflow, I had decided not to QT these new tangs at a lower salin level but rather at the reef tanks salin of 1026 this means that the QT tanks aren’t running separately but are plumbed into the reef tanks sump ( I can shut off if I want to run lower salin ) So what happened is that some of the spirulina flakes went into the sump and then down the overflow which feeds the QT tanks and obviously settled on the bottom of the QT tanks. I saw this and it pissed me off actually cause I thought dam I will have to suck it out as it will just rot. No flipping ways as after about 4 min in the QT tanks these tangs where eating the flakes off the bottom, I was shocked to say the least as I have QT’d some many soft fish in the past but never ever have I seen or heard of this and infect if I never saw it I would not have believed it. This is what really showed me the difference in MAC supplied fish

Trev

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Wow Tev that is amazing thanks for sharing that. BTW MAC? :p

4. Dane

Dane

Its a certifcation system that approves that any fish that are MAC certified arent caught in dodgy ways etc - its an attempt at curbing the unsustainable harvesting of coral reef fish and species. http://www.aquariumcouncil.org/

Walking into the shop which sold these guys, they had MAC fish on the one side and non-MAC fish on the other. The difference was so obvious it was a joke. I think its ridiculous to even bother bringing in non MAC livestock from a sales point of view, not to mention ethically wrong. MAC has a miniscule amount of DOAs etc...

5. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Actually to be honest I bought 8 other fish over the weekend which were not MAC approved livestock and they are all doing very well these fish are Vermiculated Angel, Copperband Butterfly, Bi Colour Angel, 2 X six line wrass, Lawn mower blennie, False eye puffer and I did also get a MAC approved Yellow tang ( I didnt QT the yellow tang someone else has ) and they all are eating but were nothing like these purple tangs that I got tonight.

If you are looking at a soft species or an investment fish then MAC has to be your number 1 consideration.

Yeah DaneO your right the difference is noticable even in apperance

6. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Where to get Mac lol macdonalds?

7. keyaam

keyaam

Only one in CT that I know of and i bought 6 from them already.

8. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

That doesn't answer the Q. Thanx guys you've been helpful

9. Yuri

Yuri

i think that zebrasomas are hardy fish
    Ex. the gem tang i have had taken a 360min drive and when i put him in the tank he was eating
    Ex. when i sold lanzo my old purple tang (10cm) he put him in his DT and he was taking on 20cm naso tang and ...

10. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

i have heard of clowns being caught using cynide from a mac cert exporter.... doesnt mean jack

11. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Henk the trade is becoming very mainstream and I am sure you have heard alot as I have also heard many stories as competition is always there so unless you can back that comment up with facts Im affraid its simply another story.

But I am as sceptical as they come but when I first started checking the MAC idea I thought it sounded good but was never a fact for me. Now I have experianced it right in front of me and for me its a fact 100% and I know many reefers out there are still wondering as I was some time back so thats why I decieded to share this experiance with these fish

12. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Trev this was at a shop that got fish in from a Mac supplier....

13. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Yes well what Im looking for as fact would be that they had the dead fish analyzed and found traces of cyanide, did this happen ???

14. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Also was the fish confirmed as a MAC supplied fish or was it an ordinary suppliers fish that was inn a MAC approved store?

I am assuming this aquarium store is in the Northern Provice area ?

15. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

well my MAC fish dident survive.. it came nicley packaged (extreemly professional) but it dident make 2 months.. i must say the fish did look in excellent condition on arrival, settled in well and dissapeared withing 40days...

cyinide i dont know.... cant comment

but thats my experience.. you need to remember that fish are tiny living creatures some can take stress and come out tops others not..

i think when buying livestock will always be a hit and miss purchase..

16. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Trev they did indeed and it came into CPT from a MAC supplier in asia...

17. Monti

Monti

Any fish has a chance of dying for any number of reasons in our tanks. MAC fish however do seem to be healthier and thus a higher chance of surviving (which doesnt guarantee that they will survive long term).

I do think to say that it "doesnt mean jack" is rubbish.

18. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Really hey flip thats not good to hear :( somone mentioned to me the other day about clowns dieing of suspected cyanide and that they were tested but I cant rem who it was or if it was MAC stuff but maybe its the same case that I also heard as Im sure reef fish arnt sent to be analyzed to often.

19. Trev

Trev Thread Starter

Shaw Les thats sad, what species was it ?

20. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

If a supplier sends you fish you suspect of having cynide poisoning get it tested and dont buy from the guy again. I can post a list of labs in CPT if you guys want.

21. FransSny

FransSny

Interesting thoughts....I see MAC as a useful organisation on the one hand , but as with all similar organisations it is just as good as the enforcement of the standards.

This is where the problem lies, with the logistics , stakeholders involved etc it is very difficult to continuously monitor all fisheries for compliance and as people will take the shortcut if given the opportunity there is always room for non compliance.

Having said that, collectors / fisheries who stick to the standards generally provide much healthier / better LS.

As for cianide Trev, remember the effects only come out after week 2. Normally the fish would behave fine , eat , swim etc....then just mysteriously die without noticable disease or symptoms

My 2C

Recent Posts