Lyretail Anthias Question

Reaction score
I have a school of Lyretail Anthias - 6 females and 1 male.

I have read up on the hierarchy system and noticed the controlled aggression the male uses to keep his females in line (and stop them from changing sex:whistling:)

What I am not understanding is the two smallest fish of the school are not allowed to swim with the others, they stay on separate sides of the tank and only join the school when in their area.

Also these fish are not growing like the rest, they are half the size of the others, yet all originally were the same size.

Reaction score
Hi there ..

Wanted to confirm, Pseudanthias squamipinnis, is the same fish ? If so i bought a male on Saturday but I am struggling to get him to eat ??? What are you guys feeding them ???

Should i get some females - could I possibly just get 2 ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi there ..

Wanted to confirm, Pseudanthias squamipinnis, is the same fish ? If so i bought a male on Saturday but I am struggling to get him to eat ??? What are you guys feeding them ???

They love Krill and Mysis shrimp. Once you have got them feeding on this, mix the frozen with flakes, and then they will take to flakes no problem.

If he doesn't take frozen, try mix live brine and frozen together.

They don't have to have females, but it is really cool, just beware these fish needs regular feeding, 3 times a day at least. These fish generally hang out mid depth of the tank and constantly swimming.

Big Swimmers = Big energy consumption

Reaction score
Hi there ..

Lobster eggs/roe are the best IMO for long term success but getting them to accept dry flakes is a bonus.

Reaction score
War, the 2 excluded fishys is basically the same as a group of girls on a school playground. Your either with the "Click" or shunned until accepted. Same goes for every other basic animal species that houses in groups, including humans. Its normal, just continue feeding and they will eventually be accepted.

Reaction score
War, the 2 excluded fishys is basically the same as a group of girls on a school playground. Your either with the "Click" or shunned until accepted. Same goes for every other basic animal species that houses in groups, including humans. Its normal, just continue feeding and they will eventually be accepted.
The only thing is they are being left behind - sizewise. Long as they feeding I am happy :)

Reaction score
They love Krill and Mysis shrimp. Once you have got them feeding on this, mix the frozen with flakes, and then they will take to flakes no problem.

If he doesn't take frozen, try mix live brine and frozen together.

They don't have to have females, but it is really cool, just beware these fish needs regular feeding, 3 times a day at least. These fish generally hang out mid depth of the tank and constantly swimming.

Big Swimmers = Big energy consumption
Thanx I did notice that he took a little bit on the mysis .. will check out the krill tonite .. i can only mange feeding twice a day ??? is that a serious problem ????

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Hi there ..

From my experience with the locally caught Anthias.I found frozen artemia to work wonders to get them to feed,then slowly i move them over to flakes and pellets.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score