LR, what is and can it be made?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Alias, 26 Apr 2011.

1. Alias

Alias

So my new tank needs roughly 20kg's of LR and at R100 a kg thats a hefty expense.

My question is, is LR just porous rock? I have 6kg's of LR, so if i put "dead" rock from the beach/rock pools in will it seed?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

yes it will seed over time for sure. If the rock is from the rockpools it wont be dead it will still be live...its called liverock because it is live with bacteria and micro marine life that are beneficial to your system not because it is porous.

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

to go more indepth you do infact want a more porous rock so you get a greater surface area for good bacteria growth, but rocks from the beach that are fairly porous will be fine for base rock and you can build up around it with your more porous liverock.

5. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

so any rock will do? I've read that porous rock is better..

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

it is better as I said to use as porous a rock as u can, I wouldnt use "any" rock, if you can find some porous sand stone then it will surfice. Have you thought of going the biorock route if you cant afford liverock? Its cheaper at R60/kg...ugly as hell...I wont use it myself, but it gets the job done and in time you cant really tell its not real rock.

7. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

hmm. will look into biorock. maybe ill just build up slowly with LR.

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

Biorock is nice to use as base rock but don't count on it for filtration as it is dense. You can go the DIY route and just make your own porous rock :) .. I have like 50kg's of diy rock "cooking" .. It cost me around R400 to make and its porous as hell! Only thing is that its on the fragile side and it takes like 2 months for it to be ready to use in the tank

9. durleo

durleo

Not all rock from the beach is ideal for a tank - I think it is illegal to collect rock without a special permit for it. The better rock will come from the reef areas. Check in the for sale forums for people selling live rock- you can normally get it for about R70 p/kg

10. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

70 is good I rate but then shipping to pe?

11. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

12. crispin

crispin

hi Alias, welcome to masa :)
    I understand your frustration with the cost of LR and the need of wanting to try get it as cheap as possible but as you are new (forgive the assumptions here) i thought id take the time to explain a few things about why LR is so important to a tank and why the price tag is an important indicator of quality.

LR forms the backbone of the biological filtration of a system. its the LR more than anything else (except perhaps a skimmer in the mechanical filtratioon side) that process N through the different cycles and is of paramount importance to keeping a reef. Its been said before that in reefing all we are doing is looking after water, with a few pretty things to make the water more attractive. Consequently with LR being the primary way we have of keeping that water clean it is a realy good idea to have the best possible quality of LR you can. NO that does not read, the most expensive LR you can, although the more expensive LR is often better quality.

Base rock, or bio rock is an acceptable yet poor substitute and i personally feel that anything else is a risk not worth taking. the sand stones, beach rock, porous ceramic tubes etc etc etc are a very distant third to these two.

in short LR is the lungs of your system, without a decent set things are hard to manage. Id suggest saving up and getting as good quality LR as you can and arpound 1kg per 10l display tank vollume. If thats too expensive get around 70% good LR and 30% bio rock and know that you will need some time for the bio rock to seed and become productive (and will most likley only be productive to reduce nitrite to nitrate and NOT complet the cycle) and in the time it takes for the bio rock to seed keep your stocking LOW.

look on the for sales forums and if needed get someone to ship good second hand LR to you, you can often get cheaper lr there:)

just 2c worth

13. Tremayn

Tremayn

Alias, heres what to do... Buy a few pieces of LR, around 4kg's or so (the more the better) .. Then you can get a box of caribsea base rock. They have a man made one and one that is real rock. Its about R1000 for an 20kg box. Then dose biodigest. Give it 3 months and that base rock will be full of bacteria :) .. Cheap and effective

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

note-> it will take around 2 years until base rock is as good as live rock..

15. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

@crispin and @Tremayn, thanks for the input. Good LR seems to be the way to go so ill take the hit. gonna check out the forums for some, the LFS's here seem to range from R125 to R185. R125 being normal LR and R185 LR with Polyps.

Let the saving begin. lol

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. Tremayn

Tremayn

Try and buy LR from reefers in PE. You can pick it up for like R70 per kg

Recent Posts