LR vs DSB

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by magman, 11 Aug 2009.

1. magman

magman

Since joining the forum, I am considering converting to a DSB.

Currently I have +/-100kgs broken lr in the sump, in the middle 3 sections, sump is 1220x450x450.
    1st section is a 15% bio balls, basically on the surface,
    sections 2,3,4 are live rock,
    section 5 holds the return pump and my skimmer (unfortunatly it cannot fit anywhere else, as I had bought it prior to fitting the tank onto the stand, and is unfortunatly stuck in there now, I will get an external skimmer later).

I am thinking of braking the rock as small as possible, about 20mm to 50mm piecies, placing it in the 1st and second compartment, and then 3 and 4 DSB with live beach sand as well as cupfuls from here and there.

Will start slowly at first moving bit by bit, but otherwise you agree?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pugsly

Pugsly

I am no professional here, but to my knowledge bio balls are a big no no!!!!

Second thing I would not suggest breaking the LR and then placing it it the sump like that - It is going to collect all bits and pieces and that is going to increase your nitrite and nitrate levels sky high!

If your plan is to purchase an external skimmer I would suggest then making as most of the sump a BSB even if it means DIY it to include baffels etc. Then you can plumb the new skimmer before the sump, let the water enter the sump over the DSB into the second sump if you wish and then return to DT.

I have had huge problems with GHA all because of crushed coral, bio balls, filter floss etc - it all just catches debrits!!!!!

4. Pugsly

Pugsly

PS. Doing it the way you said with the breaking of the LR into pieces - it is not going to allow pieces to get to the skimmer you have at the moment - personally I think its a bad idea and you need to re-look at this before you commit to it.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Keep section one with or without LR if you want to / have to. Else make first chamber as small as possible with only the water inlet pipe. I got a 2L plastic milk bottle cut off in my sump. Inlet pipe ends in that. And the milk bottle stands in the sand.

Then rest of section 1 plus sections 2,3 and 4 to be one BIG DSB. Suspend the LR over DSB on some eggcrate. Eventually sell the LR when DSB is matured. So do not break it into small pieces.

Then space above DSB can house some Cheato. Now that will be a nice size DSB.

My own setup, my skimmer is also in last chamber with return pump and heaters.

6. Prodigy

Prodigy

Pics????

7. magman

magman Thread Starter

do I need lights over the dsb? The problem is it is under the DT

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

MagMan - the ONLY reason why you would want lights over the DSB in the sump, IF you have macro algae in the sump as well, ie. chaetomorpha....

9. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

I think breaking up the liverock would be a waste. You would lose a lot of its functionality. Deep inside the rock is anaerobic bacteria which you want. I believe breaking it up would destroy the area's where this type of bacteria lives.

Taking out the middle baffles and making a huge DSB with the rock suspended above it sounds like your best bet just like Riaan said.

10. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Correct...i totally, agree

11. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

12. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

Yes Magman
    First like they said dont breake your LR in pieses :nono:. If I understands this right your sump consists of different chambers (5) making it a over and under flow. Before we get to the DSB, will it not be possible for you to turn your sump around so that your skimmer is in section 1 before the filter.
    This is importent to get the skimmer first!!!, section 2 your LR and macro-algae. Then section 3 must be as large as you can get it for your DSB. Last one for your return pumps. Move some of your LR to your DT. Remember the water must flow over your DSB never through it. Please post a pics of your sump this will help us to see and understand your setup. :thumbup:

O and please take the bio-balls out it's a nitrate and Phosphate factory!!
    This should be done over a long petiod not at one's

13. magman

magman Thread Starter

Thanks all, I am going to do the whole sump, except where the return pump is,
    Riaan, I love the coke bottle bit, and am going section 1,2,3,4, DSB. The Protein Skimmer is stuck under there, the only way it can come out is to break the sump. I will start looking for an external skimmer.

Questions (again!!!!)

1, what is the best bet for substrate? I was thinking of live sand (it is easier for me also), and driving around begging for cupfuls.

2,mud, do I put mub as bottom layer?

3 Thickness, 150mm,

4, I am going have to modify and do the sump all in one hit, there is no other way around it.

14. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you redo sump in one go, AND you keep all the LR you currently have in the sump and put that on the DSB to start of with, there should be no problem. If you can suspend it just above, that might even be better. Then after 2 weeks you could start removing some LR pieces per week. Remember the DSB will not be fully active in first 3 months. But with LR seeding it, process might be faster.

I got no experience in mud, I live in Gautengeleng and not that easy to get that much LIVE sea sand here still alive. But not a lot of guys use it (hmmm, there is one who experimented with it - cannot remember who).So go with play sand or the real thing. But remember to dig sea sand out at low tide from below water level. No need to wash it. Play sand, you must wash it like a 100 times.

I used play sand. Bought from local garden centre. Cheaper than Reggies.

Recent Posts