LR vs Base Rock

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by belindamotion, 18 Feb 2011.

1. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I've seen some Threads regarding this Topic and have then concluded that I have Base Rock...now do I HAVE to add Healthy LR to my Tank to assure diversity and prolong "longterm good health"...in a hell of a nutshell...or do I do "diversity" with Coral...? I must admitt I would have prefered Healthy LR, had I known beforehand, but all the "shops" only have Base Rock...so I assumed that's how it's done...where would I get Healthy LR...and should I rather not go that way as I'm very new to this and inexperienced regarding bacteria and other "abnormalties" I'll be facing with and trying to balance in my inexperience...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. KeeganP

KeeganP

:confused1: Is that base rock you have there....
    try contacing (send him a PM) or I can get you his number if you like.
    The Waterboy - Marco Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    His in Durban and has LR

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Feb 2011
  4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

The major advantage of having liverock is that it is already... well... "alive"... What I mean byt this is if it is nice and healthy liverock, you already have plenty of bacteria that assists in filtration. It also has many micro fauna like pods and worms in it, that helps break down food and pooh in finer matter that bacteria can consume and break down in harmless elements (this is in a nutshell really, as it is much more involved...)

Anyway, normally LR is also more porious than most base rock I have seen, thus it makes for better filtration.

Nothing wrong with baserock though. It too will eventually become "alive" and have bacteria, pods and worms in it. It will get covered by calcareous algae en look like LR. I have seen reefers where you will not see the diffs between LR and BR.

Base Rock is however MUCH MUCH cheaper than LR, but to me the trade off between price and value, I would rather go with LR. IF you have a tank that might use plenty of rock, why not place the baserock at the bottom, and LR over it?

If not, get some LR in the tank, asap, as this will seed the Baserock and help speed up filtration.

Hope this helps.

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Thread Starter Google Master

Hi Keeganp..I have no idea...I'm so new at this and forever reading stuff and if I look at pictures of some of the Healthy Live Rock..dammit..mine looks like the meat has been boiled clean off the bones....!!! I'm under the impression I have LR...Now I'm wondering if LR is suppose to be "healthy" with "goodies" on it, and seeing as my LR is scrubbed to the bone...is that what they refer to as Base Rock...? Look I know it's LR that I got...but is mine what they refer to as Base Rock...? Or is Base Rock another name for Ceramic Rock...because in that case I'm DEFINATELY missing the pot...it's just that I see LR being shown when new Shipments come in that I started thinking mine is what they refer to as Base Rock and not Healthy LR..sigh

6. Monde

Monde

Um not to throw a spanner in the works but Belindamotion are you talking Bse Rock v Live Rock or Cured Live Rock vs Uncured Live Rock?

7. Boegie

Boegie

Speaking of live rock, I got this tip from: Tip of the Day, Aquarium Advice, Aquarium Tips | AquaNerd

Sometimes the live rock in our aquariums becomes overgrown with pests and algae. Caulerpa can seem unstoppable and Aiptasia anemones spread like wildfire. No matter what we do to cut back on this expansion, our efforts are usually fruitless and the plague continues. The only way to fully get rid of these unwanted inhabitants is to pull the live rock from the aquarium and use the harshest means. Letting the rock dry out for several days or soaking it in fresh reverse osmosis water are two extreme methods, and some even break out the pressure washer to blast the pests off. Regardless of what method you use, it’s wise to rinse the rock thoroughly and cycle it in saltwater for several weeks prior to putting it back into an aquarium. You might also want to seed the now dead rock with pest-free live rock to reestablish bacteria and other beneficial organisms.

8. Boegie

Boegie

Another from the same site: Tip of the Day, Aquarium Advice, Aquarium Tips | AquaNerd

Dried live rock is a great way to prevent unwanted pests and algae from getting into your new aquarium. However, it comes with some serious drawbacks. For one, the live rock is devoid of any life, including desirable algae and invertebrates. This means no coralline algae, no Stomatella snails, nothing. Using this rock also means right out of the gate you have little to no bacteria so you’ll need to find a way to add bacteria and start your aquarium’s cycle. To solve these issues, you can seed the tank with established live rock from an existing aquarium. The dry rock will get some algae and bacteria from the seed rock.

9. belindamotion

Hi Monde...I think it's Cured LR vs Uncured LR... mine has nothing on it and I want to know how do I get it like the others...do I introduce healthy LR..how would I know if it's got the good stuff on it and if I leave my LR as is, when will it get "growth" on it...or will that only happen when I introduce LR with "growth" on them...

10. belindamotion

Hi Boegie...thanks for the tips..you basically nailed my questions to a T...

11. Dane

Dane

Oh, in that case you're in a much better situation. You basically have LR thats been "reset". ;-) Ultimately, time will take care of it. But yes, I would get some pieces of cured LR to seed it. Or ask a fellow reefer nearby to keep one of our rocks in their tank for a while.

12. belindamotion

Most of the places I know only have uncured, hence my thinking thats how LR is suppose to start out...when I started the Tank, they phoned and said they are getting LR, then when I get there, uncured is what they sold...so does a person ask for cured LR as a special order...? Would they know if it's pest free...?

13. Dane

Dane

What Does Curing Live Rock Mean?

Hmmm, most of the places I buy from have a great big tank which holds live rock - so if you let them hold it a while it'll be cured. Why not offer to buy a few choice pieces and ask them to hold it for you for two weeks +, that should get rid of most of the die off.

How old is your tank? what do you have in there at the moment?

14. KeeganP

KeeganP

So Belinda you need LR to seed the current rock you have....

15. belindamotion

Hi Dane...Tank is a month old and I've nothing in it...picture I took this morning
    [​IMG]

Recent Posts