LR ver DSB

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Shaun, 4 Jan 2008.

1. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Are their any advantages or disadvantages of running LR over DSB. The way I see it they should do the same thing, but with LR you can take it out and clean it or "cook it" again.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LikesFish

LikesFish

A DSB would typically be more efficient than LR, but LR is easier to work with (blow detritus off, keep clean etc). The reason for this is simple - the surface area to volume ratio in sugar sized oolite sand is much larger than the typical porous surface area inside live rock to its volume. So there is more room for bacteria in a DSB.

4. LikesFish

LikesFish

PS: You only cook live rock once - typically before you use it. I personally do not see the need for cooking it again (if your tank maintenance is done correct I cannot see how phosphates in the rock can become a problem).

5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

In a remote dsb, sand can also be "cooked" (actually more like sterilied) by removing a portion of the dsb (say 1/10th) and rinsing it in ro water. It will be recolonised quickly by bacteria from the other 90percent.
    Just one word of caution, siphon out the sand as you would water, whilst pumps are turned off.

6. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

I would think that, whether a DSB or LR is in your tank once its all colonised etc. its going to be dificult to take out.

A remote DSB, is, as Ivan says much more flexible. As Anthony Calfo said, it could be as simple and removable as a bucket in a deep sump with water flowing over it. this makes it much easier to clean or even remove if neccesary.

7. Shaun

Shaun Thread Starter Retired Moderator

I suppose any change you do whether it be removal of LR for cleaning or some of the DSB with cause a mini cycle.

How many guys are running a tank with no DSB, and are just using LR. I think Northland are are their any others?

8. millepora

millepora

Plenty others

9. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I agree with Millepora ,only a few guys here in Cape Town with DSB.Most just use live rock + skimmer.Hopefully we can educate our fellow reefers as to the benefits of DSB.I think that there is a need for both live rock and DSB ,both have their benefits.

10. Shaun

Shaun Thread Starter Retired Moderator

The problem is when you say you not going to use a DSB some people think you are swearing at them. (it's kinda taboo)

Guys don't take it the wrong way:wave2:

11. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Sunburst

12. Vernon

Vernon

I ran my 5ft tank very sucessfully for about a year an a half on light skimming, LR filtration with a trickle filter as a overflow. Although I wouldnt advise it, it worked for me at a stage... Now that I have a DSB, all I can say is wow....

13. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Yes, but each type of substrate has it's own unique types of critters, and would compliment each other in creating a stable, workable "eco-system" which would be most beneficial to your animals.

Some good reads...

Reef Aquaria as Ecosystems - by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com
    Live Rock As A Biological Filter: Hit or Myth? by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D.. - Reefkeeping.com
    Applications of Sand in Reef Aquariums: Theory and Practice by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com
    How Sandbeds REALLY Work by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

Hennie

14. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

All very good information - personally I would have (and do have) BOTH. Only one problem - I do NOT have the issues with my DSB as I have with the live rock. I DO INDEED HAVE PHOSPHATE ISSUES WITH HIDDEN DETRITUS WITHIN MY LIVE ROCK. This acts as a fertiliser for nuisance macro algae (bryopsis and hair algae) and one can clearly see where the problem areas/problem rocks are. At this stage I do not have enough live rock to take out of my tank to "cook" them - but I will most likely do this in ANY case at some stage.

WRT my DSB - I have a DSB in my main display tank, as well as in my sump. I just find that the micro life in the DSB ensures that I do not have any nitrate or detritus problems on the DSB side. The micro-life ensures that the bottom basically stays clean from detritus. (PS: I also have a sea-cucumber in my tank - chowing away at the detritus)..... Problem is - sea-cuke do not get to the live rock to "suck out" detritus trapped in there. Neither does it seem that the micro-life in my live-rock seem "chow" enough of the detritus at this stage to "clean" the rocks out automagically.... Maybe later on?

Recent Posts