LR choices for new Tank

Reaction score
Hey
I need some advice on the type of LR i should put in my new tank. I started cycling last week thursday, and I need to get some LR ASAP. I have enquired from the sponsors, the only thing is I don't know which to choose (kenyan, fiji, indonecian ect)

Furthermore my funds are bit depleted after buying all the equipment. i have a 500 litre tanks, which according to the advice I got from MASA needs about 66kg of LR (1kg/2gallons). This is really hectic. Will cost almost more than my equipment.

With starting up the tank, with how much LR should i go, and which type?
Thanks

Well you have many choices.

LR, Bio-Rock, DY Rock, Second Hand rock..

I have a 1500l system and only have about 40kg's of rock. Don't forget rock is only 1 bit of your filtration. Sand, Skimmer and plant filters also do there bit.

What equipment have you got and what kind of tank are you planning on?

I have a 100l sump (DSB) with a Reef octopus extreme Octo 160 (rated at 750l)
Going to keep fish, soft coral and lps.

Well you have many choices.

LR, Bio-Rock, DY Rock, Second Hand rock..

I have a 1500l system and only have about 40kg's of rock. Don't forget rock is only 1 bit of your filtration. Sand, Skimmer and plant filters also do there bit.

What equipment have you got and what kind of tank are you planning on?

I appreciate the money problems - believe me we all do :) but in my experience the live rock you buy will determine how much enjoyment you will get from the hobby.

Live rock is the heart and lungs of a good set up, so hang on, save up a bit and get as much top quality live rock (fijian) that you can afford, say 30 - 40 kgs, if you space that well, leaving plenty of room for flow around as much surface area as you can manage (meaning - create holes rather than walls) you will need less live rock, you will be able to add more rock with the corals you buy and add 5kgs monthly to make up the deficit (the larger mass of stable live rock will compensate for any ammonia in the neawly added rock)

Also remember that high quality rock (like fijian) versus the cheaper more dense rock (like kenyan) is far more porous and thus MUCH lighter. So if you buy say 30kg of Fijian rock you end up with what looks like far more then if you bought 30kg of kenyan.

I would much rather have 30kg of Fijian rock in my tank than 50kg of kenyan.

and as Wee-Man pointed out you can start with 20kg's and buy 5kg's each month...

and as Wee-Man pointed out you can start with 20kg's and buy 5kg's each month...

I said 30 - 40kgs ;) but yes, as long as you buy a large amount and add only very small amounts to it very slowly, you can start off with less than you need.

yip unfortunately it is expensive i have a 550l with about 75Kg Lr and it doesn't even look like half the amount i need. I would go with that new fake rock as a base then but about 20-30kgs on top of that, should be pretty good. I don't know how much that new fake moulded rock costs but could work out cheaper than LR. NB many guys have tanks without proper LR but trust me it helps a ton.

Thanks for all the advice guys.... I really don't know how i would have survived without the help of MASA. And yes, here i thought the change over from tropical fish to marine was going to be a breeze... this is a total different ball game...

Hey Lemar..so what LR did you get?
Hallo Goodisor
Mostly Fiji, and some other. Not to sure, as Liaquat at AQuality selected for me and sent it. It's been working great, water was murky, LR was in for one day, and water is sparkling clean and ammonia level is improving by the day.

Good stuff I did exactly the same thing,it just took me like 100years to get where I am(budget,lack of discipline...you name it) I decided this year to get the tank done properly and thanks to Liaquats patience and advice,things are starting to really take shape.

Good stuff I did exactly the same thing,it just took me like 100years to get where I am(budget,lack of discipline...you name it) I decided this year to get the tank done properly and thanks to Liaquats patience and advice,things are starting to really take shape.

yes, initially thought i'll go the cheaper way, (kenya ect) but in the end decided against it. Trying to do everything properly. Husband's patience is running out, after 4 months of research and building, and rebuilding he just want to see a fish swimming around, or anything to look at. the mollie's is not doing it for him anymore :lol:
But anyway still need some more patience..... probably another 2-3 weeks to go!! (just to be safe, hopefully I'm not being to safe)

Back
Top Bottom