LR came with mushrooms, will they make it?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dlaria, 7 Aug 2011.

1. Dlaria

Dlaria

Got some more LR today. One piece has several red mushrooms on it, and what looks like a little tree (lavender with tan branches). This tank's only 4 weeks done. Any way I can nurse the mushrooms along, so I don't lose them?

Last edited: 7 Aug 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Good lighting, fish poop and food will keep them going and probably get them multiplying. A pic would be nice to see all the stuff you have on the rock

4. crispin

crispin

mushrooms nad zoanthids are known to be hady corals so i am sure they will be fine. your tank hasny shown any major swings during its cycle as i recall so I am sure the shriooms will be fine so long as they get some light and flow around them. dont deliberatley add LS yet, but those hitchikers should be fine:).....now that you have your first corals we need pics!

5. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

Ok, I posted some pics. Not very good, with the cell phone. :p I need to at a minimum, double my LR.[​IMG]

6. *Philip*

*Philip*

As Crispin said, they will be fine as long as they have light and flow. I bought rocks with polyps and mushrooms on and gone through the whole cycle and they all survived. :blush:

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

Its hard to kill a mushroom! Trust me, accidently tried to and it just grew back :whistling:

8. KeeganP

KeeganP

:lol::lol::lol: Trust you to do something like that... :tt2:

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

lol well I took the rock out of the water and thought it was an aiptasia so I squirted it with boiling water :whistling: .. Then it opened up and died.. guts and stuff came out.. I felt bad lol but theres a new shroom there now.. Im telling you, you cant kill those things!

10. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

4 week old tank and you have a tang in there... :eek: I'd be more worried about him than the shrooms...

11. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

I listened to someone from a chain pet store. :p

So far so good. I got some biofilter squeezings, some established live rock and some established tank water from a real LFS. I've yet to see amonia, but got a small/moderate spike in nitrates and nitrites this morning, after putting in quite a few more live rocks out of the tank at the LFS. (I should have scrubbed them first.)

I also caught my son feeding the fish. Apparently he started doing that without my knowing. Like feeding them every day! Not good for a new tank.

I'm watching nitrates/nitrites close, changing H20 & hitting the tank with a neutralizer; if I see a spike coming.

Things should be a bit easier when the new hob refugeum and big skimmer come. I'll get some macro algae and live sand for the bottom of it.

I got the extra little shrooms, because the LFS fellow wasn't working yesterday, and the gals filling in let me pick my own rocks. :)

Last edited: 8 Aug 2011
  12. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

Good to know you're aware of it... Just keep an eye and maybe get a contact with an established tank for a backup just in case so you can leave the fish there if you pick up trouble... Have fun... :thumbup:

Recent Posts