LR and Fish at the same time ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ashley100, 28 May 2010.

1. ashley100

ashley100

good day to all

I want to go to the lfs tomorrow and buy more LR and maybe fish, I do not have any
    fish at the moment, i only got starfish ,crabs and hermit crabs roaming my tank. I
    have had my tank going for over 9 months. Can i put LR and fish at the same time(day).

if any one can help thanks:wave2:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

depends on the size of the tank, if its a nano, i would add live rock first so any die-off happens and gets dealt with, then fish 2-3 days later, hardy fish though like a yellow tail dasel or tomato clown, although tomatos are quite aggressive. if your tank has good filtration and 150L or more then u should be able to add both at same time depending on if the live rock remains submerged or how long it is kept out of water, just be sure to acclimate fish :p. Thats what i would do anyways, hope it helps

4. Annoying

Annoying

Just like deadmeat said it depends dramaticly on the dise of the tank, but if the live rock is fully cured and it stays submerged the entire time then there should be no problem. Your tank is at and older age and will easily accept the new creatures and rock.

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

What size is the tank? How much live rock do you have in already? How much are you planning to add?

6. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

my tank is 270L and i got i got about 15kg LR and i saved R3000 to buy LR or what ever catches my eye

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

If i were you, I would buy enough live rock that you might need and let the tank run another month to make sure that any die-off is converted from ammonia to nitrites to nitrates. The reason is ammonia and nitrites is very toxic to fish.
    The other reason is there might be a "bad" critter like a mantis shrimp inside the new live rock that can kill you fish. The hermits doesn't stand a chance though :p

8. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Nice! im on a student budget which isnt really budget lol :p have you already got the live rock u want you want to add or is the 15Kg already in the tank?

Recent Posts