Lr + 90 gallon

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Robert., 7 Jun 2011.

1. Robert.

Robert.

HI guys i currently have a 12 gallon nano tank but due to its small size and my inexperience, i have decided to give the hobby a break until i can fund a larger tank.

What i want to know is, Can LR spoil? ive had it for 3 years and its been through some rough times with cyno and GHA. Is it possible to "store" the LR in a smaller tank with a heater and water flow until i need it again?

When the wallet gets a little bit heavier, ill plan to upgrade to a larger system. Problem is the choice between a 75 or a 90 gallon, i want tangs ect that make a reef tank but i dont want to jump another level in the price range;)

so is there a huge difference between the costs of a 90 and a 75?

Is the equipment needed gonna be roughly the same?

I want ur opinions!!:1::blush:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

you need a heater and air pump, but with no food for the bacteria it will die. Better to give it to someone until you come back

4. Falcon

Falcon

let it cycle completely until all the phos and nitrates leach out of it so it will be fully cured.....which is fine.

So my advise would be yes let it cycle in a bucket with airpump even if there is no heater as the cold water bacterial species will still cycle it;)

5. Robert.

Robert. Thread Starter

Ok im still gonna run the small nano with the cardinal, just to keep bacteria populations going within the LR.

As i stated above, ill be looking to upgrade in the future:thumbup: but im not sure if i must go for the 90 gallon or the 120 gallon ( i left the 75 as i would like to have a tang or 2)

when it comes to equipment, will there be a huge jump in costs if i have to upgrade the equipment?

Im leaning towards the 120 as i like the depth compared to the 90 also its the same lengh as the 90 and still has +30 gallons:)

What do u guys think? what are the pros and cons of each ??

I also want to know roughly what will be the cost for a 120 gallon reef tank?( it can just be an estimation)

6. Duri

Duri

since you have a nano I will do the following: this is just my opinion since you just want it running...
    I would change 50% or so of the water
    Scrub the rocks
    I would put in a polyps or zoas hardy ones
    3 clown fish and a 6 line and perhaps a hermit
    small heater, air pump and small pump for flow (like tremayn said)
    do 10-15% water change every month which wont take time since it being a nano
    and some basic supplements to add

Last edited: 8 Jun 2011
  7. Duri

Duri

please state tank in litres

Recent Posts