Lps

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Hogfish, 4 Feb 2013.

1. Hogfish

Hogfish

Hi guys I just want to lift my opinion on my experience on a goniporia and ellagance,I had both of them and none of them lasted longer then 6 months,any of you guys had some of these,please share.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Gonioporra is difficult to keep long term. With the new Gonio Powder it seems to be better.

Elegance corals do not like strong flow at all. Enough light but not too bright. Once they start to die back at one end, its normally downhill from there.

And you do not want your clowns to host in either.

Basically both are difficult.

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

My goniopora is going on 2 years next month.

5. Mewik

Mewik

My elegance is rather bulletproof. I've had it almost 2yrs and nothing much bothers it. Happy under high flow and low, high nutrients or low don't bother it. Had it under mh lights and t5, didn't make any diff and it carried on like any other day. It was even happy with clowns hosting in it, probably cos it ate the male clown. Sigh

That said I just put it down to luck really. If they come from the wrong place they will rarely adjust and die off. It seems if they last more than a year you should be safe from then.

6. Clowning

Clowning

I have 3 elegance corals for just over 4 months now and my pair of clowns has been hosting them ever since with no problems. They happy with just enough flow to sway the tentacles back and forth and a medium to high lighted area.

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Ok. Goniopora, @tekengal probably could help us here a little, and I took her advice and I have two gonioporas, one is a pink and one is a stand along green, they are both doing great. My green even reproduced asexually and gave off a polyp. @tekkengal told me that they love iron, I dose iron, target feeding every two days a week, so either fish eggs, lobster eggs or invertebrate food (all from ocean nutrition), but I actually feed my tank, and my fish love fish eggs and lobster eggs too, cyclops etc.
    Both my gonioporas are always open, one is always hosting a clown (the green, which doesn't bother her). They like low to moderate flow

Nutrients, probably low nutrients, mine are below 1ppm NO3 and below 0.1ppm PO4.

Lighting, mine are under LEDS on the floor. Temp never drops below 25 and never rises above 26.5.
    My salinity is at 1.026
    If you noticed that your goni's are not open for extended periods, you need to assess the situation, they go south pretty quickly.
    Also certain species are much harder than others, I don't know which ones @tekkengal might).

Read this, pretty good article too, help me too.
    The Care and Propagation of Goniopora by Justin Credabel - Reefkeeping.com

Hope it helps!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

@carlosdeandrade you give me too much credit, lol! :blush:

So some advice regarding the green gonis that I picked up on my adventures with this coral:
    1. Stay away from the Stokesi (green) and Pendulus (Light bluegreen) gonis. They require a lot of TLC to thrive. It can be done but if you are not dedicated then this is definitely not the goni for you.
    2. If you do get either of those, dose iron BUT it must be dosed for your tank requirements. The iron helps the green and bluegreen gonis with photosynthesis. Too much iron though and you will end up with algae issues and iron poisoning with your other corals.
    3. If the goni is not extended in the shop, don't buy it. It is very, very difficult to get them to extend once they have reached that level.
    4. Contrary to old belief, they do not like dirty water. Water quality is still important to maintain them, you will need to supplement them with food such as zooplankton, fuel etc.
    5. On food, from my experience, it appears that they get used to one type and if you try to introduce another type they will sulk.
    6. Acclimatise them properly to your tank light, they can bleach if over exposed.
    7. The link that Carlos posted is awesome, read up whatever articles you can find on them.
    8. Gonis are very susceptible to brown jelly diesease. If you notice it on your coral, ensure that you treat it accordingly and try and get all the brown jelly off as it will continue to spread if you don't.
    9. From my experience, red gonis are far easier to care for.
    10. Gonis like mixed flow (i.e. not getting pushed in one direction). If you wouldn't put a hammer/frogspawn/torch coral in that flow, then the goni wouldn't be fine in that position either.

Hope this helps! :)

9. LouiseS

LouiseS

I have only had my Goni since early November so it is only 4 months in. I have found that it like a mid level position off the sand and enjoys a fairly strong flow - enough to blow the heads about. I feed mine gonio-powder and fine brine shrimp and so far so good. I did stop my percs hosting in it as it did sulk at that point :)

IMG_5872.jpg

10. crispin

crispin

thats a stunning coral, well done on keeping it so well:thumbup:

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

@tekkengal, this is the green one in m system, is it a Stokosi sp? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360230958.333200.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360230958.333200.jpg

12. LouiseS

LouiseS

haha - that is one happy looking clown fish :)

13. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

@LouiseS:) Alas, my fish are not happy at the moment, corals are the ones that are happy.

14. Mc

Mc

My goni has recently gone south in a very well fed tank even with the use of goniopower.:(
    It was one of the harder gonis to keep.

As for the elegance I have had one for almost a year, it is on top of a reef structure with a fairly high flow rate and it is doing great. I believe it has a lot to do with where they are collected from as in the early days of reef keeping these seem to have been known as a fairly easy coral to keep. I think that one of the keys is the depth they are collected from and those collected from vietnaam seem to have a better survival rate.

15. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Looks like it. The brown is throwing me off a little but could just be the lighting. :)
    Can you get a close up of the mouths?

16. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

17. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

18. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

I am going to say it is a stokesi :)
    There is another very similar goni named lobata but the mouths on yours are flatter (i.e. not pointed like the lobata).
    To be 100% sure though, you would need to examine the coral skeleton but I would prefer your coral to remain healthy and intact , lol!
    Your coral is in great condition, normally the stokesi are lumo green, indicating bleaching.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2013
  19. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Thanks @tekkengal, when I got it, it was much lighter, it has become this colour through time! Glad it's healthy.

20. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

And it made you a granddaddy, of which I'm extremely jealous, lol!

Recent Posts