LPS That does not know what it is doing

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Mastazee, 12 Jul 2011.

1. Mastazee

Mastazee

So i walk into a Pet shop yesterday to buy some bird seeds and i see they started selling marines (just over a month ago there was nothing).

They have two new tanks in the front which looked decent closer inspection i saw white spots on the powder blue (might just be stress spots he was not scratching against the rocks).

When i went to the back in between the guppies they had converted one of there freshwater tanks as is to marines and had clowns in it and and they where all sitting at the bottom almost struggling to breathe and one nice looking goldie decent size just sitting at the bottom and its gills flapping like crazy.

I asked the guy what experience he got with marines he arrogantly boasts that he has had a marine tank for 18 years and he knows what he is doing.

I know there is not much we can do about shops like this it just saddens me to see the livestock put through so much trauma for his pocket. :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

poor fish :(

4. danimal

danimal

if he knows what he's doing why are the fish struggling to breath while he does nothing about it, probably haven't been acclimatised at all... argh...

5. Mastazee

Mastazee Thread Starter

Probably i hope it puts a huge dent in his pocket and that he learns his lesson

6. Amoré

Amoré

Have you guys been to the aquarium lately (Two Oceans)?

I was so upset when i saw they have a new (well for me it is new because i live in pta and only go to ct once a year) tank filled with clowns, but like hundreds and hundreds of them, and they are not even swimming, they were all parking on the bottom struggling to breathe!

It upset me so much I didn't even want to see the rest of the aquarium!

THEN when I got to the shark tank i saw that the fish in there looked terrible, they were all bitten and scratched and full of whitespot, I was really disappointed...

You don't notice these things when you don't have your own tank...

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Amore - the clowns are perfectly healthy, though just a little odd. There was a recent thread on this. Captive bred clowns often display odd behaviour which you dont always see cause you have one or two clowns in your tank. The behaviour becomes alot more apparent when there are large numbers together.
    Regarding the shop-small shops will soon learn that theres no quick money to be made in marines and will stop stocking them. Best thing you can do is try educate the owner IF they willing to listen.

8. Amoré

Amoré

Even if they are healty, it is not really natural to keep them in a tank like that, am I wrong? It just seems wrong to me...

9. Xereo

Xereo

Amore no Need to worry about the clowns, they are super happy in there :)
    We have asked loads of questions about it.

Clowns are just weird

10. Mastazee

Mastazee Thread Starter

Well they are tank bred so they dont even know what the ocean is in my opinion it is ok its a great attraction for the kids and if it educates them and will help our environment in the future then why not.

To the clowns the is no difference as they were bred in that environment.

But that is just my opinion

11. Evo R

Evo R

This is very sad!!! I to walked into a petshop that did the same. Luckily they stopped now.

12. Amoré

Amoré

well then it is fine... can you guys be so kind to give me the link to the threads about this, i would also like to read about it... :)

13. Xereo

Xereo

14. Xereo

Xereo

if you have any questions or worrys please message @David Vaughan he runs Two Oceans

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. Amoré

Amoré

16. Xereo

Xereo

Do the Right thing. Hit the thanks button :)

17. Braco

Braco

Good to know we know who keeps their fingers on the pulse out there...because so many wants what is our passion but they are not really as passionate as we are about our marines..i always had the problem that when we have visitors they fall completely inlove with the scaping and the invertebrates and then 2 weeks later i hear they too started their marine tank...no advise or help was asked...only when it's way too late..then they seek aid..i find the same with certain lfs..they stock and have no idea what is required of them..unbeknown ppl come into the lfs see the fish don't know any better and purchase..unhealthy stressed out fish..ai i can go on and on...but i would just get stressed from something that i or we can't control...:002:

Recent Posts