LPS Corals such as torches

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by the fish, 18 Jun 2012.

1. the fish

the fish

how hard is it to keep LPS corals such as torches? i would like to put them in my tank after about two months. would like some advice on them please. :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wes

Wes

water quality and light dependant, not difficult to grow in a new tank :)

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

If your water parameters are stable and you have good lighting and flow they are easy.

5. the fish

the fish Thread Starter

100% thanx @Wes. oh and 1 las question how do you frag or able to spread through out a tank

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Wes

Wes

Depends what you want to frag, Zoa can kill you if you're not carful, sps can be broken off mother specimen no issues

7. the fish

the fish Thread Starter

@butcherman i have no problem with flow or lighting in the tank. got a 1500l/h cascade canaster filter running on my TL450 plus a SEIO 1150L/h pump in the tank itself. so i think flow is not any problem.

8. the fish

the fish Thread Starter

no the zoas i will frag in a frag tank. but thats a plan for about 3 months later. ccwilke and i am going to build a big one to frag them in:thumbup:

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

LPS such as those are pretty easy beginner corals and should do well in most peoples tanks provided sufficient lighting. Remember though that euphyllias do not like intense flow and this can land up causing them to stay retracted t worse tear their flesh and cause death.

Euphyllias are easy to frag as well as long as the branches are long enough u can just break them at the base and join of the branch...coral clippers advised for this as a bad break could shatter the skeleton.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. the fish

the fish Thread Starter

thanx @Kunhardt. i will definitely keep this in mind. but where will i be able to find coral clippers? i havent seen them at any of the LFS' i go to at all.

11. Arries

Arries

Hey man...Look at my thread...My tank is 90% lps...one thing i can say about all my LPS is that they like a SG of 1.023-1.025...If its more or less they thend to sulk abit...And KH also affects mine alot...but overall very easy to keep...Low to med flow work well for mine but not direct flow...I frag my LPS with one of those big Kitchen Scisors that looks like its has a half moon missing on end of blade...works like a charm...if u wanna be safe put a small cable tie around the skeleton just above the place u want to cut it...Pull it tight and cut..that way the skeleton cant really shatter...it happend to me once but not since i used the cable tie method...Oh and tne like abit of PO4 and NO3...if mine goes to low they kinda tell me then i have to add suppliments...Good luck man...Lps are the best...Very easy...:1:

12. the fish

the fish Thread Starter

thanx Arries.

13. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Maybe ask one of the sponsors or your LFS to order in for you if you are wanting them. I know they are not something that gets stocked here regularly either, but they are in the suppliers catalogues so reckon you just need to ask and they can organise for you.

the fish likes this.
  14. the fish

the fish Thread Starter

@Kunhardt i will go to 1 close to me that i know and ask him to get me one thanx

Recent Posts