Lowflyers tank

Reaction score
Ok guys, i'm gonna start a journal of my tank as it goes along, pics to come, hopefully i can get it right this time;)

DSC01194-1.jpg

DSC01196.jpg

DSC01197.jpg

Last edited:
And this is how it started out, notice the UG filter, i took it out and it deepened my tank and gave me more options for aquascaping

DSC00918.jpg

Yeah nice, but I see there is a small bit of Algae starting on the rocks (I could be wrong), if it is it will be good to run phosphate remover while the algae is still in an early stage. But other than that, your tank looks neat;)

Thanks sean, yeah, that is algae, forgot to mention that the photo of the clowns and live rock is the latest photo, i scrubbed the rocks today and gonna look at getting PO4 remover very soon, when i have cash, will keep the pics coming and hopefully by the end of the year would've upgraded lighting so that i can keep softies too, and an anem:)

Thanks Warr, more LR? I'll have to look at it at a later stage, the flow is something that i want to upgrade soon too, at the moment running two powerheads 1 is 690l/hour and the other is 400l/hour, want to change both at some stage, what would you recommend?

Thanks Warr, more LR? I'll have to look at it at a later stage, the flow is something that i want to upgrade soon too, at the moment running two powerheads 1 is 690l/hour and the other is 400l/hour, want to change both at some stage, what would you recommend?

The LR suggestion is my preference, I love loads of LR, also keep in mind you want to look at getting a mandarin ;)

Hi Lowflyer,it seems you have come a long way since the ug filter,btw what kelvin rating are your lights and how many tubes do you have.I really dig the purple look.

Assuming your tank is a 4ft,I would say 4 seio m620's,which you can place appropriately where ever you like for water movement.

Brilliant Lowflyer! Please give us some more specs on your filtration? ie. what skimmer? DSB? sump design?

What lighting are you using?

What are your water parameters?

Your tank is starting out very nicely. The substrate is a little bit too course though. It should have sand particle sizes that are a maximum of 1.5mm big.....
The reason for mentioning this, is that you could have problems later on with detritus being trapped, and thus leaching nitrates and phosphates into the water column. This could cause major head-aches with nuisance algae breakouts....

I don't know why, could just be me. But ive always thought some green algae in a tank gives it that undersea feeling. Not to much but here and there is nice. Must just be me :whistling:

aslam - Thanks, but as much as the purple looks good, it's because of rubbish cheap bulbs that i bought, the box and the tubes don't even say what their kelvin rating is, wish they did, I'm looking to upgrade the one bulb and maybe add one or two t5's in when i have built a new lid for the tank. And my tank is a 3 foot, are those m620's a bit too powerful for such a small tank though?

Jaquesb - thanks man, about the substrate, i am slowly taking it out of the tank, a few hand fulls every week with my water changes and either gonna stick with bare BB, but i prefer having substrate, so think i will go with sand from gonubie at spring low tide. Thanks for the heads up:) . Great site by the way

Back
Top Bottom