Lowering nitrates

Bayls

Not often called Junior!
Reaction score
Hi
I left my tank maintenence up to our domestic whilest away for a week. She did a great job on everything except that she fed the fish over half of a big tin of flake food in that time! (I did show her what a pinch was - just obviously never made it clear that it should only be 1 pinch at a time!).

Anyway, most of the parameters are good, fish and corals look fine, just the nitrates are sitting at 2. What is the quickest way to lower nitrates (apart from water changes)?

Cheers

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Nitrates at 2??? most reefers dream of getting them that low.

Are you sure you're not just showing off?:lol:

Don't do drastic water changes (over 20%) it can alter the chemistry of the tank, cut back on food and do a 10% change every few days.

Bayls

Not often called Junior!
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I feel better now! Have cut down on feeding and will do water changes.
Cheers!

Reaction score
2 is still very OK - no need to worry yet - the water changes will bring it down

Reaction score
eish congrats on training up the domestic:whistling:
are you sure you dont mean the nitrates are sitting at 20 cause mine are at 10 at the moment which is acceptable but will require a water change soon.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Ok guys, now don't tell Bayls i said this, but i reckon he's just trying, in a roundabout way, to tell us that his nitrates are only 2, now he's showing off so it's best to just ignore him;)