low Ph readings?

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by LouiseS, 5 Oct 2012.

1. LouiseS

LouiseS

The last few times I have tested my water parameters my Ph readings seem to be low - 7.9 while everything else is normal. I buffer the water up to 8.3 and a week later the reading is down to 7.9 / 8.0 again?

What would cause this drop in Ph?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

P.H Fluctuations( During the dayare caused by Organic waist.

If you use purigen , a Pure organic waist scavinger , it shopuld take out organics and keep the P.H from dropping.

If you Buffer the P.H - try using the Aquavitro 8.4.
    This has a high PK - which is the actual strength of the buffering solution that makes up the P.H buffer - The P.K of 8.4 is about 9 so after regular use the P.H will stabelise.

D

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Oct 2012
  4. LouiseS

LouiseS Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply David. Will come round and get some Aquavitro soon. What would be causing the organic waste?

5. Helga

Helga

Hi @LouiseS,
    If all your other parameters are good ie, Kh, Calc, Magn, you should us Aquavitro BALANCE. It raises your PH without raising the KH. As does the Aquavitro 8.4k

I am using the Balance on a dosing pump. It doses at night when the PH swing is highest.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. brentnorm

brentnorm

I am using the Balance on a dosing pump. It doses at night when the PH swing is highest.[/QUOTE]

That's an awesome idea. How much do you dose and how often?

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

8. LouiseS

LouiseS Thread Starter

@Helga - As the alkalinity is sitting at 11 I don't want to raise this any more so it sounds like the balance option is a good idea. Thanks :)

@dallasg. Thanks for the article - very interesting read. This weekend I will try aerating the tank with an air stone and see what happens. I would rather not have to dose anything if I canunderstand the cause and sort out the balance naturally :

@brentnorm - looking forward to looking at your system when I change to the RSM 250!

9. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

@Helga...:)

10. LouiseS

LouiseS Thread Starter

11. Helga

Helga

That's an awesome idea. How much do you dose and how often?[/QUOTE]

@brentnorm,
    The dosingpump is controlled by the Profilux. i have set the PH nominal value to 8.00. So as soon as the PH drops below 8, the pump starts dosing. i have to admit though, on my tank 1300liters (total water vol) , it uses about 100ml per day at the moment.

It obviously depends what your PH drop is at night and whether it restores to acceptable levels during the day. My swing is acceptable +/- 0.25 during the night, but I struggle to get the tanks PH above 8.05 during the day. Another way to get my PH higher during the day is to run the kalkstirrer higher, but, then I have the danger of raising the KH above 11. So at the moment I'm trying to "balance" the process between the kalkstirrer keeping the PH above 8.15 during the day and dosing Balance at night when the PH drops beneath 8.

@LouiseS, Dose the Balance just after lights out, and if need be, again just after your lights come on. do you have a Calcium Reactor on the tank?.... It is a known fact that tanks with calc reactor run at low Ph Values. Small things you could do to help raising your Ph is to direct some flowpumps at the surface at night to agitate the water.

12. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

Hey @LouiseS before dosing anything... Check your ph @ morning ,afternoon and if u can, during night time... As it is said to have diferent readings @ diferent times due to activity of photosynthetic bacteria.... In my experience Kh is the biggest influence for change in Ph ... So stabilising your kh should maintain your ph balance and adding a litle flourescent light on ur sump section should maintaing photobac after lights out preventing huge swings in Ph .......

Recent Posts